Is my 6 week old Ameraucana chick a rooster ?

brooklynbirds18

Chirping
7 Years
Nov 30, 2012
Arizona
Hi, I have 10 birds, 6 adult and 4 babies. Of the four babies we got a buff Orpington, Plymouth barred rock, and two Ameraucanas. I wonder about my ameraucana, Brooklyn and I'm pretty sure she's a silver ameraucana. So far she is the biggest of the 4 more birds we got recently. I really never thought she seemed like one but she does have a very weird and full comb on top while the other 3 birds barely have theirs grown. She loves being held and touched, while with the other birds she's the most aggressive. All of her fur and feathers grow in a weird way too, they're look like they are all separate pieces. We have another ameraucana as well and she is all brown for the most part while Brooklyn is black and white everywhere and retained most of her baby colors. She makes strange sounds lately, but I honestly don't know what that could be from. Just made this account to find out. Thanks
Here are some pictures over the past few weeks, the last few are from today.

I'm sort of new to having chicks and hens.. I figured the comb looked different which is what caught my eye, but what are saddle feathers and what about the tail that makes it a male? What colors do you think it will be when it's an adult? I know I'm asking lots of questions lol this bird is my favoriteeee

Hackle feathers are the feathers around the neck. Saddle feathers are the feathers just before the tail(hence the term saddle, just like a horse's saddle) will be long and pointy on cockerels. Here is mine, you can see the long pointy hackle and saddle feathers.

Hens will have saddle feathers too, but they are short and rounded like on my BO hen on the left.

Yeah my BO looks like that too.. How long will it be until she's noticeably a rooster? I literally just realized this morning she has so many traits of one but still blends in at the same time in a lot if ways, and was that cockerel how my bird will look possibly? Thanks :)

Yeah my BO looks like that too.. How long will it be until she's noticeably a rooster? I literally just realized this morning she has so many traits of one but still blends in at the same time in a lot if ways, and was that cockerel how my bird will look possibly? Thanks
smile.png

He is a Splash Orpington, so your Buff Orp if it is a cockerel will feather similar to mine. Mine is 50% English bloodline which is why he has so much lower fluff. If you post pics of your BO standing(close-up full body side shot) and clear close-up of comb I could take a guess. Also state what the age is.

Back
Top Bottom