Is my Cayuga laying?

Bring

Songster
10 Years
Jul 16, 2009
New Mexico
I have a Cayuga duck who lives with some chickens. She is about 8 months old. Yesterday and today I got a strange looking egg. It was bggerthan my chicken eggs and "bullet" shaped. It was a white with a green hew to it. It also felt like it had a wax film on it. I thought cayugas lay black eggs?? I was really hoping for black eggs. Sorry I dnt have a picture of it. I thought it was strange because of the shape and the wax film on it. My chicken eggs don't have that film on them. Whatcha think? Is it from the duck?

Yep, you've got a duck egg
smile.png
None of my three hen ducks (Cayuga, black Runner, blue Swedish) have ever layed the "color" that the poultry books said.
Raider, the Cayuga (nephew named her when little and we didn't know gender) has laid some eggs that were over 3 1/2 oz..

Last edited:
Hey this exact same thing happened to me! I thought it was a chicken egg just covered in poop. I took it in to my sink to wash it and noticed there was an oily film on it. Our Cayuga ducklet had an accident when she was little and we made her a homemade splint to have her leg recover. Because
of this she is about half the size of our drake.. her egg is small compared to our older chickens, but inclosed is a photo of her egg compared to one pur new laying pullets.

Back
Top Bottom