is my ducky lame

staceymaenzo

Chirping
Mar 21, 2016
I recently got three ancona ducks from the same clutch. They are now 2 1/2 weeks old. One of them seems to have more of a waddling gait, seems a little more unsteady and spends more time lying down than the other two. It will take a few steps then lie down while the other two are running around. Could this potentially be a problem?

Hi & welcome to BYC!

Are you adding a source of Niacin to their feed? They need it for proper development. Many members, myself included, use brewers yeast (not activated or bread yeast) to get ducklings the Niacin they need. I add one tablespoon of the brewers yeast to one cup of food until they're 20 weeks old.

Did she hurt herself running around? How does she swim? Because I have a 5 day old duckling that I have had to give 'Swim therapy' to several times a day. She wasn't even using one foot, and now she puts weight on it and has started using it.

To the best of my knowledge, they did not hurt themselves (there are now two of them). But I was just thinking of swim therapy because they got so big so fast that I think their legs are having trouble supporting their weight. At 3 weeks old they look more like geese than ducks. Thanks for the suggestion.

I have not, but I will. I am giving them the chick starter crumble which I was told should have enough niacin. I also am going to carefully start swim therapy. They got so big in 3 weeks that they look more like geese. I think their legs may be having trouble supporting their weight. Thank you for the suggestion.

There are now two lame ones. They can stand up but don't stay standing for long. For the most part, they crawl instead of walk.

Back
Top Bottom