Is my Japanese Quail Male or Female?

RawrRyu

Hatching
6 Years
Feb 20, 2013
I am greatly confused. I know the coat difference between male and female with Japanese (Coturnix). Females having white chests and males having red chests.

My Quail has a white chest. It looks the spit of what a female looks like. Yet it has never laid an egg.
Also, females are supposedly quiet, whereas my quail calls out alot.
All in all, it looks female but acts like a male.

It is important I find out, I have Quail eggs incubating and two males together is a big nono.

I don't have pictures i'm afraid, but it is the spitting image of a characteristic female.

It isn't a golden. I can post a picture, but it isnt of my quail, rather what my quail looks like.
It calls when someone is around and kind of light chirps when you sit next to its hutch.

Mine looks identicle to the one on the right.

I raise quail and have tx a&m, golden, brown, tuxedo, ...etc. you can also tell by their calls:

Male-http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_T3KU93FxP4&feature=related

Female-will sound like a baby chick chirping

But my quail also makes that males call! And it has no red on its chest at all, it is identicle to the right quail in the picture.

Well there's a test that I do when I'm unsure. When you pour feed in, the males will almost instantly start breeding. This will really only work though if you let them be out of food for a couple hours. I hope this works!

Back
Top Bottom