Is my Rhode Island White a rooster?

Hannyoax

Hatching
Nov 16, 2020
rooster2.jpg
rooster1.jpg
roosthen.jpg
hen.jpg

We got our chicks in the beginning of September so they are now a little over 2 months old. One of them looks and acts a little like a rooster. As comparison I also added a picture of another RIW and one with both of them together. I researched their breed and looks like even the pullets get a red comb but this one is so much more extreme then the other one. Please help!

Also what are the advantages and disadvantages of having a rooster in your flock? We only have 4 chickens total and aren't really looking to "make" more! Are there places where you can bring a rooster if you don't want it?

Thank you so much for your help :)

Best
Hannah

Looks like it is a cockerel. If you aren't planning on hatching/raising your own chicks, and if you don't particularly care for him, there's no need to keep him. However, it can often be hard to find someone who will take in a rooster (especially if you have a no killing/eating policy).

Looks like it is a cockerel. If you aren't planning on hatching/raising your own chicks, and if you don't particularly care for him, there's no need to keep him. However, it can often be hard to find someone who will take in a rooster (especially if you have a no killing/eating policy).

Thank you for your fast reply!

If it’s your only cockerel, it could be very advantageous for you as long as you’re allowed to have one and don’t have jerk neighbors. Roosters will search for food for Hens, find them the best nesting sites, and watch over them as they forage. They let out low warning sounds that alert distracted hens to approaching danger. They are especially good at spotting hawks and warning hens in time so they can run; some roosters even fight hawks to the death to defend their girls.
You must stay dominant. It will transform into a hormone fueled crazy bird and you have to make sure it knows you’re in charge. Never get out of its way; walk by and make it get out of your way. Never show fear, and dont let it stand up tall and flap its wings in your face. As long as it always knows you’re in charge, having a rooster is the best.

View attachment 2413879View attachment 2413880View attachment 2413883View attachment 2413885
We got our chicks in the beginning of September so they are now a little over 2 months old. One of them looks and acts a little like a rooster. As comparison I also added a picture of another RIW and one with both of them together. I researched their breed and looks like even the pullets get a red comb but this one is so much more extreme then the other one. Please help!

Also what are the advantages and disadvantages of having a rooster in your flock? We only have 4 chickens total and aren't really looking to "make" more! Are there places where you can bring a rooster if you don't want it?

Thank you so much for your help :)

Best
Hannah
They look like all hens to me. Two of my hens have red comb and the other two have shorter combs and are lighter. Mine were sexed, look like yours, all hens.

Back
Top Bottom