Rhode island white over indian/cornish game hen

EddieSalita

Songster
Mar 10, 2023
Qld, Australia
Hi,
Thought I'd post an update thread on a thread I started here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/rhode-island-white-over-cornish-game-hen.1603021/

Th3se birds hatched on 16th of November.

We lost one of the 3 at a few weeks old. Just died inexplicably overnight. Sad. I've attached some pics of the remaining two birds. It seems to my non expert eye that there is one rhode Island white hen, and one rather impressive rhode/game hen cross cockerel. The pics don't do the male justice. His legs are like broomhandles already, he started crowing yesterday. Very pretty plumage. He seems a bit awkward at times, but it's clear he is going to be a very tall and athletic bird. Which is somewhat unexpected. I figured he would be mainly heavy set, but he is heavy set and very tall. At 4 months old, he still has a lot of growing to do. The older hens still push him around. Even though he is twice their size.
He is not a cornish cross broiler. His mum is an actual Indian Game hen. His dad was a particularly large rhode Island white rooster.

So just thought someone might like to know what they actually turn out like. I've not seen it documented.

Enjoy:)

Attachments

• 20240319_164554.jpg
    20240319_164554.jpg
    590.4 KB · Views: 29
  • 20240319_164608.jpg
    20240319_164608.jpg
    574.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 20240319_164548.jpg
    20240319_164548.jpg
    576.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 20240319_164600.jpg
    20240319_164600.jpg
    595.3 KB · Views: 7
  • 20240319_164542.jpg
    20240319_164542.jpg
    567.6 KB · Views: 7
Thought I'd post an update thread on a thread I started here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/rhode-island-white-over-cornish-game-hen.1603021/

Th3se birds hatched on 16th of November.
Thanks for linking to the older thread. I went back and re-read it to refresh my memory of what chickens you were crossing.

It seems to my non expert eye that there is one rhode Island white hen, and one rather impressive rhode/game hen cross cockerel.
That looks right to me.

The female does seem to have a single comb, and she's all white, so that is what I would expect of a pure Rhode Island White.

The male is definitely a mix (comb type, coloring, body build).

The pics don't do the male justice. His legs are like broomhandles already, he started crowing yesterday. Very pretty plumage. He seems a bit awkward at times, but it's clear he is going to be a very tall and athletic bird. Which is somewhat unexpected. I figured he would be mainly heavy set, but he is heavy set and very tall. At 4 months old, he still has a lot of growing to do. The older hens still push him around. Even though he is twice their size.
It is interesting how the genes interact sometimes. Yes, adding the Cornish to the mix can make a big difference in the physical traits of the chicken!

I am a bit surprised at how much red he is showing. I would have expected less, from what I know (or think I know) about Rhode Island White genetics. But no matter what is going on with the genetics, he is one beautiful cockerel!

He is not a cornish cross broiler. His mum is an actual Indian Game hen. His dad was a particularly large rhode Island white rooster.

So just thought someone might like to know what they actually turn out like. I've not seen it documented.
Thank you for sharing! I agree, photos of this cross aren't very common. I think yours are the first I've seen.

The one that mysteriously died at a few weeks old showed almost no red, just a few flecks of dark brown. It was more predominantly white. It's a pity that one didn't make it. It was possibly a hen by the size difference.
We'll keep this fella. He seems a gentle boy at this stage. The other rooster we have has started chasing him a little bit. No hope of catching him though. Not sure how long that's going to last. The young bloke is shaping up to be a super heavyweight.
I'm also a little surprised just how large rhode Island white hens are. This girl is noticably larger than the australorp x and rhode Island red x already, and only 4 months old.
My poor little leghorns.... surrounded by giants. They couldn't care less. Haha.

The one that mysteriously died at a few weeks old showed almost no red, just a few flecks of dark brown. It was more predominantly white. It's a pity that one didn't make it. It was possibly a hen by the size difference.
Definitely a pity. It would have been nice to see how a pullet from that cross looked, and of course it's always nice to have another pullet.

We'll keep this fella. He seems a gentle boy at this stage. The other rooster we have has started chasing him a little bit. No hope of catching him though. Not sure how long that's going to last. The young bloke is shaping up to be a super heavyweight.
I'm also a little surprised just how large rhode Island white hens are. This girl is noticably larger than the australorp x and rhode Island red x already, and only 4 months old.
My poor little leghorns.... surrounded by giants. They couldn't care less. Haha.
:)

Back
Top Bottom