What is "game fowl" or "game cock"?

Akgmrw62

Chirping
Jun 27, 2023
I got two of my birds from a yard sale set up at local feed store in our little town. The lady said she's got barnyard mix and had at one point bought some easter eggers and added to her "herd". These two were from same hen she said, said the hen got mean while sitting and wouldn't let any other hen near the nest after she laid her first egg. He's a big old boy. About 11-12 months old. He's awesome with the hens. Very watchful and protective. But past week or so gotten very aggressive with me. Has flogged my leg once and face just the other day. He about became stew but I truly like him and like how he protects the girls. Every time I Google lens a pic of him I get "game fowl" or Americana mix. What is game fowl? Are they fighting cocks? I'm still debating on his future but want to keep giving him another chance. Any input appreciated.
IMG_20240222_152718502.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20240222_151150121.jpg
    IMG_20240222_151150121.jpg
    544.9 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20240222_152913636.jpg
    IMG_20240222_152913636.jpg
    785.8 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20240222_152706085.jpg
    IMG_20240222_152706085.jpg
    751.7 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20240222_152221640.jpg
    IMG_20240222_152221640.jpg
    498.4 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20240222_151345770.jpg
    IMG_20240222_151345770.jpg
    445.1 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20240222_152718502.jpg
    IMG_20240222_152718502.jpg
    1,021.2 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20240222_152837682.jpg
    IMG_20240222_152837682.jpg
    470.5 KB · Views: 10
He's a beauty and a possible Easter Egger or Game Fowl mix. True Game Fowl are among the least human aggressive birds as this trait has been stringently selected against. Bottom line is if he is attacking you and making you uncomfortable, he needs to be replaced.

Gamefowl are chickens historically used for fighting. They're still around these days for a variety of purposes. I have gamefowl myself because they do fantastic free-ranging and put all production breeds to shame

It looks like you have an American Game mixed with Ameraucana. Technically that makes him an "Easter Egger" and half of his daughters should inherit a gene for laying green eggs

Gamefowl are typically very kind to humans, so his mean nature is actually likely from his Ameraucana heritage. Those who fought chickens in the past didn't want their tough chickens attacking them and so they specifically bred their chickens to not be human aggressive

Very handsome chicken

He's a beauty and a possible Easter Egger or Game Fowl mix. True Game Fowl are among the least human aggressive birds as this trait has been stringently selected against. Bottom line is if he is attacking you and making you uncomfortable, he needs to be replaced.
Thanks. I'm not uncomfortable with him just watch him when I'm around him now. After he got me the other day I got him and held his body to the ground (not hard like squishing him just enough so he couldn't get up) and held his neck head down with other hand like I've read online. After I let him go he laid there for several minutes before he finally got up and stayed away from me while I was in their run. Last 2 days he's kept his distance and not acted like he was going to come up on me. I've also read that alphaing them like this would be a continual thing and if it does turn out to be like that I hate to say but I will have to call him 😭

Gamefowl are chickens historically used for fighting. They're still around these days for a variety of purposes. I have gamefowl myself because they do fantastic free-ranging and put all production breeds to shame

It looks like you have an American Game mixed with Ameraucana. Technically that makes him an "Easter Egger" and half of his daughters should inherit a gene for laying green eggs

Gamefowl are typically very kind to humans, so his mean nature is actually likely from his Ameraucana heritage. Those who fought chickens in the past didn't want their tough chickens attacking them and so they specifically bred their chickens to not be human aggressive

Very handsome chicken
Thanks. Very informative! I hand raised my buffs and barred rock from day olds and was always handling the. So they'll come right up to me and want to hop on lap when I sit on my stool in their yard. I've been thinking he possibly thinks of me as a rival cause "his flock" are so much my babies lol.
Don't know if roos go through an awkward teenage/early adult stage, but I'm hoping by being more mindful of where he's at compared to me, to discourage an attack and just giving him some time maybe he'll grow out of this. I know I'm a sucker for pretty plumage 🙄

Looks like my boy Long, but with a higher tail set. Long is an Indian Malay Rooster, turning 2 this year.

Your boy is most likely crossed with Easter Egger explaining the higher tail set, & possibly the human aggressive behavior. Gamefowl when they display human aggressive behavior are termed Man Fighters, which are not desirable. It's also not a desired trait with regular chicken breeds.
20240106_093021.jpg
20240106_092845.jpg

Looks like my boy Long, but with a higher tail set. Long is an Indian Malay Rooster, turning 2 this year.

Your boy is most likely crossed with Easter Egger explaining the higher tail set, & possibly the human aggressive behavior. Gamefowl when they display human aggressive behavior are termed Man Fighters, which are not desirable. It's also not a desired trait with regular chicken breeds.
View attachment 3754721View attachment 3754722
Thanks. Your is gorgeous! What kind of comb does he have? Looks kind of like my Motzy's but more poofy. Lol

Don't know if roos go through an awkward teenage/early adult stage, but I'm hoping by being more mindful of where he's at compared to me, to discourage an attack and just giving him some time maybe he'll grow out of this. I know I'm a sucker for pretty plumage 🙄
Roosters definitely do have an awkward teenage stage, but they have the potential to learn quickly. My broodcock right now is a formerly human aggressive Sumatra that attacked my wife one and only one time. After being forced to the ground once he's never attacked again

Roosters definitely do have an awkward teenage stage, but they have the potential to learn quickly. My broodcock right now is a formerly human aggressive Sumatra that attacked my wife one and only one time. After being forced to the ground once he's never attacked again
Wow that is good to know. Ever since I did it to him he's kept his distance. Not so much acting scared, just keeping some distance from me and he hasn't come up close when the girls are eating their dried worms from my hand. Thanks for the encouraging post.

Back
Top Bottom