Is my white silkie rooster show quality?

Yes it is an APA show. I am trying to find the book right now, but is it alright if I do last year's edition? I read on the APA website there can be lots of judge biases so it feels as if I can enter any chicken as long as it doesn't have any DQ factors.
They don’t change the books that often, it is not yearly so you should be ok.

Bias, yes, but you can lose based on not a DQ too. For example, my kid showed a bird that was supposed to have light grey under feathers. Something we didn’t check. Bird didn’t have this, it is not a DQ, but couldn’t win bc it lacked an aspect of the breed standards. We didn’t complain bc it’s clearly stated in the standard, but for some reason we didn’t “see” it until it was pointed out.

We’ve seen varying judge personalities, but when you go to something big like the Ohio National or any of the regional shows, you will see many amazing examples within a breed, but if you look carefully you’ll probably figure out why that particular bird got the blue ribbon within the breed, vs the others.

Welcome to BYC! :frow

He's not what I would consider show winning (based on crest shape alone).. though competition quality also matters..

I'd also like to see the lobes looking more turquoise, though maybe that's just the pic angle.. and I'm NOT a qualified judge.

As far as I know.. splash is not show able. That doesn't even look blue splash beautiful as he is, looks like some reddish leakage on the shoulders or something that;s just not right.

The experience alone might "be worth it"! Maybe still attend even if you decide not to enter??

https://vjppoultry.com/2018/04/24/a-look-at-the-silkie-standard-of-perfection/
Yes haha the experience alone! It's in one of those county fairs so it would be fun to visit this summer anyways. I DID NOT know that splash was not showable! Thank you so much for telling me!!

Welcome to BYC! :frow

He's not what I would consider show winning (based on crest shape alone).. though competition quality also matters..

I'd also like to see the lobes looking more turquoise, though maybe that's just the pic angle.. and I'm NOT a qualified judge.

As far as I know.. splash is not show able. That doesn't even look blue splash beautiful as he is, looks like some reddish leakage on the shoulders or something that;s just not right.

The experience alone might "be worth it"! Maybe still attend even if you decide not to enter??

https://vjppoultry.com/2018/04/24/a-look-at-the-silkie-standard-of-perfection/
Splash is an accepted variety in Silkies, therefore, showable. But good catch on the leakage, if there is any yellowing it is a disqualification.
Thanks for your comment! Would my splash rooster be the same thing? figured some of his tail and feet aren't so fluffy but could you make them fluffy if I took them a bath and blow hot air?
No, but if it is just a county fair it could be worth showing him for the experience.

Back
Top Bottom