Is quinoa ok for chooks

whoop whoop

Songster
Apr 26, 2015
Rainbow Nation
I have been giving this to my choooks and they love it. Reason being I have tried this I feel they are not getting enough protein even with the eternal worms and store bought food. I have so many Ibis they dig out all the worms and goodies leaving very little.

It is a seed/grain. They can eat it just like any other seed/grain.
Chickens are omnivores and you certainly aren't going to increase the protein with quinoa. Just like all other vegetative sources of protein, some of the essential amino acids will be deficient.

What is Ibis?

I feed mine lentils and much beans but i sprout it first , just to soften it up and give them some " greens and protein ",
You will increase their protein levels with quinoa:

Well I was thinking the bird species ibis but didn't want to jump to conclusions.

I get it now. The ibis and other wildlife are competing with the chickens for the available animal protein.

Well I was thinking the bird species ibis but didn't want to jump to conclusions.

I get it now. The ibis and other wildlife are competing with the chickens for the available animal protein.
Yep that's about it - but think my chooks are fed well enough so just thought quinoa would be an extra bonus - thanks for the info

Back
Top Bottom