Is the "MOS" in Poulin Grains Feed still a mystery?

off-grid hen

Songster
Mar 1, 2011
Upstate NY
I met a man who owns a store that sells feed, and he sells Poulin brand. He of course is wondering why I don't buy my feed from him. I told him I'd think about it. So I was online looking at the brochure and I'm wondering what "MOS" is. I googled it, but all it does is reference the Poulin stuff. I searched here at BYC and didn't come up with much, other than listing it as an ingredient. Maybe there's a thread that's more in-depth on the stuff that I somehow missed. Maybe someone could link me here? Please? :D

Sounds very sketchy/shady to me. I mean- what is the stuff? I am not feeding mystery junk to my chickens. If it's probiotics, then say it. If it's just an herbal mixture, say what it is then list the herbs used... you know? And what are the bakery by-products?

Has anyone here sent an email to Poulin asking what the stuff is? If so, did they respond, and what was the answer?

:confused:

http://www.poulingrain.com/product_details.php?product_id=85&category_id=5

"...*MOS: Is a natural product containing Mannonoligosahrides and Beta Glucans. These natural compounds help to prevent infection and spread of disease-causing bacteria by natural stimulation of the animals immune system and binding toxins. MOS has been proven effective in cattle, swine, poultry, rabbit, pet foods, and many others. Extensive research has proven MOS to be effective in diets with or without growth promoters..."

Last edited:
Did you ever find out any more info on this???? I'm curious as well. I went into a new grain store today and spoke with a wonderful woman who spoke very highly of this feed. I of course researched it after leaving, so didn't really get to ask any questions.....but I have the same question you did....did you ever get an answer?

We use Mannan-Oligiosaccharides in our feed as well. It is a very beneficial ingredient.

More info here-

http://www.bio-mos.com/bio-mos/about.htm

It is, by no means, a sketchy/shady ingredient. It is a VERY beneficial ingredient for your animals health, and eliminates the need for medications in chicken feed. It is essentially a probiotic that stimulates the immune system, and drastically improves GI tract health. It is costly to include this product in a feed.

Last edited:
Mannan oligosaccharides (MOS) are widely studied in the animal industry as a way to reduce the number of endotoxins in the gut and blood. Studies in animals show stunning reductions in inflammation. For example:
http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/pdf/10.1080/09712119.2013.823863

Has anyone found a source for food-grade MOS that we can buy as an isolated ingredient, to test different quantities directly in our own feed formulations?

By the way, the fact that MOS shows dramatic benefits for poultry, cattle, pigs, dogs, and fish, all strongly suggest that it would have similar effects on humans. It is probably a very smart strategy for improving gut health, decreasing toxins in the gut, and reducing the absorption of the toxins already present in the gut.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom