Which of these layer feeds should I choose?

Brizi

Songster
Feb 22, 2023
Alabama
I've been searching for a layer feed with specific parameters. I've looked at the feed spreadsheet that has been shared around BYC, and I've done my own digging as well. I have only found two* that come really close to what I'm looking for (and that I can get where I live). I'm going to post the information below, and y'all please feel free to tell me what you think. Also, if there is a feed that meets these parameters that I've missed, please please please let me know! *I found a third formula the day after posting this!

The Parameters
  • 18% to 20% Protein
  • 3% to 4% Fat
  • 0.75%+ Lysine, 0.35%+ Methionine
  • The feed is organic.
  • The feed label lists each ingredient.
  • The feed costs less than $1.50/lb.
FoodOrganic Price/Lb Protein FatLysMet First 5 Ingredients
Nutrena
"NatureWise Hearty Hen"
No$0.6518%3.5%0.750.35Ground Wheat, Ground Corn, Corn Distillers Dried Grains with Solubles, Wheat Middlings, Canola Meal
Kalmbach "Full Plume Feathering"No$0.6520%3.0%1.000.40Corn, Soybean Meal, Dried Corn Distillers Grains with Solubles, Wheat Middlings, Vegetable Oil
Eggland's Best
"Organic Layer"
Yes$0.9517%4.0%0.850.42Corn, Wheat, Soybean Meal, Milo, Oats

Note: Eggland's Best feeds are manufactured by Kalmbach. I did not add Kalmbach organic feed to the list because it is essentially a more expensive version of Eggland's Best organic feed.

Last edited:
They are pretty comparable. The Nutrena is cheaper and also higher in protein because they use the "corn distillers dried grains with solubles" aka, corn steep liquor, which is a byproduct of ethanol production that is high in protein and also super sweet-animals love it because it's so sweet. I actually use it as a fertilizer in my garden, the stuff is the most amazing fertilizer and almost complete, but lacking Calcium. I didn't know that Kalambach makes the Eggland's best feed, but I've used Kalambach feed in the past and I thought it was one of the better national brands.

Besides a few extra filler ingredients in the Nutrena, either of these would be fine, I suppose it mostly comes down to feed price for you. Have you been able to locate any local mill feeds in your area? They are the best priced options in my area and are always super fresh. Good luck!

They are pretty comparable. The Nutrena is cheaper and also higher in protein because they use the "corn distillers dried grains with solubles" aka, corn steep liquor, which is a byproduct of ethanol production that is high in protein and also super sweet-animals love it because it's so sweet. I actually use it as a fertilizer in my garden, the stuff is the most amazing fertilizer and almost complete, but lacking Calcium. I didn't know that Kalambach makes the Eggland's best feed, but I've used Kalambach feed in the past and I thought it was one of the better national brands.

Besides a few extra filler ingredients in the Nutrena, either of these would be fine, I suppose it mostly comes down to feed price for you. Have you been able to locate any local mill feeds in your area? They are the best priced options in my area and are always super fresh. Good luck!
Thanks for the input! I didn't know any of that about the "corn distillers dried grain with solubles." Very interesting.

I've found four local feed mills. It was New Country Organics, Tucker Milling, Hillsboro, and an unknown mill that sells feed to my local co-op. Most had 16% feeds, and the ones that had 18% feeds had lower Methionine levels. ☹️

If I only have these two feeds to choose from, I guess it comes down to this:

Is it better to have that 1% extra protein, or is it better to have an organic feed with that 0.10% extra Lysine and 0.07% extra Methionine?

First thing without even looking at % of this or that. Organic means spend more money. At 10 lbs you already spent $3.00 extra for what benefit. My birds get enough "organic" free ranging You can throw medicated in with organic. I'm just a skeptic when it comes to the buzz words "natural or organic", too old to fall in fad marketing.

First thing without even looking at % of this or that. Organic means spend more money. At 10 lbs you already spent $3.00 extra for what benefit. My birds get enough "organic" free ranging You can throw medicated in with organic. I'm just a skeptic when it comes to the buzz words "natural or organic", too old to fall in fad marketing.
Fair point. My main reason for wanting to go organic is that you can't use the same pesticides on organic that you can on non-organic. Now, in theory, even non-organic feed shouldn't contain a harmful amount of chemicals. But I like the idea of reducing the risk.

Fair point. My main reason for wanting to go organic is that you can't use the same pesticides on organic that you can on non-organic. Now, in theory, even non-organic feed shouldn't contain a harmful amount of chemicals. But I like the idea of reducing the risk.
Think about this. We have a certified organic farm in the area for vegetables which is fine and I sometimes stop and get tomatoes and melons 30 feet across the road is a commercial farm with corn and other crops. The over spray from that farm is falling on the organic farm. But I do understand your point and concern.:thumbsup:love

Back
Top Bottom