Is there a cleaner way to kill a duck???

LakotaWolf

In the Brooder
Nov 7, 2015
I've been watching videos on killing and butchering a duck for meat.
Most take it to a chopping block, chop off the head, and let it flop around spewing blood everywhere until it finally dies. My thoughts on that is, now the ground is blood soaked....Wouldn't that be a dinner bell for predators???.
Another method I saw was to cut a hole in a sack, shove the duck in the sack with the head sticking out of the hole, hang the sack so the duck is upside down over a bucket. Using pruning shears, snip off the head, and let the blood spew into the bucket.
A third method was to choke or snap the neck. When it's fully dead, pluck the feathers. Then take it to a sink, snip off the head and feet, then gut it. While gutting it, run water to wash all the blood down the drain.
The third process is probably for us that want to butcher one or two ducks a week for our own meat.

What do you folks think about these methods?

Most take it to a chopping block, chop off the head, and let it flop around spewing blood everywhere until it finally dies. My thoughts on that is, now the ground is blood soaked....Wouldn't that be a dinner bell for predators???.
Another method I saw was to cut a hole in a sack, shove the duck in the sack with the head sticking out of the hole, hang the sack so the duck is upside down over a bucket. Using pruning shears, snip off the head, and let the blood spew into the bucket.
A third method was to choke or snap the neck. When it's fully dead, pluck the feathers. Then take it to a sink, snip off the head and feet, then gut it. While gutting it, run water to wash all the blood down the drain.
The third process is probably for us that want to butcher one or two ducks a week for our own meat.

i agree that there should be a very more humane way because those methods sound rather cruel, hmm you could always drug the birds so they just fall asleep and never wake up. that way the nerves arent so active so no too much blood and the duck isnt really hurt.

Most take it to a chopping block, chop off the head, and let it flop around spewing blood everywhere until it finally dies.  My thoughts on that is, now the ground is blood soaked....Wouldn't that be a dinner bell for predators???. 
   Another method I saw was to cut a hole in a sack, shove the duck in the sack with the head sticking out of the hole, hang the sack so the duck is upside down over a bucket.  Using pruning shears, snip off the head, and let the blood spew into the bucket. 
    A third method was to choke or snap the neck.  When it's fully dead, pluck the feathers.  Then take it to a sink, snip off the head and feet, then gut it.  While gutting it, run water to wash all the blood down the drain. 

Welcome to BYC!

I asked a vet about the most humane way for us backyard folks to euthanize and he said that cervical dislocation as best, but hard to do correctly.

-Kathy

Most take it to a chopping block, chop off the head, and let it flop around spewing blood everywhere until it finally dies.  My thoughts on that is, now the ground is blood soaked....Wouldn't that be a dinner bell for predators???. 
   Another method I saw was to cut a hole in a sack, shove the duck in the sack with the head sticking out of the hole, hang the sack so the duck is upside down over a bucket.  Using pruning shears, snip off the head, and let the blood spew into the bucket. 
    A third method was to choke or snap the neck.  When it's fully dead, pluck the feathers.  Then take it to a sink, snip off the head and feet, then gut it.  While gutting it, run water to wash all the blood down the drain. 

Shoot it at close range maybe??? If you don't own a gun (.22 pistol would be best as you can put it up to the bird's head), try a pneumatic nail gun to the brain.

If you dont have a regular killing cone, Get a traffic cone, turn it upside down and suspend it from a branch or something, put the duck in, head first of course. It' s head will stick out, the cone will hold it's body, so it doesnt flop around, have a pan under neath, slit its throat, blood drains your nto pan. Easy

Most natural deaths are slow and agonizing. Snapping the neck or decapitation are the fastest and most humane ways. The flopping around is just the nerves. I prefer not to let mine flop as if bruises the meat so I just hold them on the ground after I wring their neck until they quit, only takes a minute. The cone works as well if you prefer it but you will have more blood when you remove the head. Also, to the person that mentioned giving it drugs to go to sleep; really? Then you want to eat that meat? Not me, would never be safe, not to mention cost effective. If blood and twitching is too much for you then either suck it up and work through it until you become familiar with what happens during the butchering process or quit.

Edited by staff

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom