is there a interest in some standard silkie eggs

Don't get me wrong, I know it is possible to get one that large with some out/cross breeding.
I thought of doing something like this myself, not as large though closer to the Australian Standard for Large Fowl Silkies -
Male 1.58 - 2.00kg (3 1/2 – 4 1/2 lb)
Female 1.15-1.58kg (2 1/2 –3 1/2lb)

Where as APA are bantam silikies are -
Males - 2 1/4 lb
Females - 2 lb

Chris

Last edited:
i sent eggs to one person the other day and she couldnt believe a silkie laid them.

That would be me... These are big eggs! When I got them I thought it was hard to beleive a Silkie actually laid them.

Was really interested in working on a fun project like this, and after lots of correspondence, shadowpaints was gracious enough to allow me on board for the project. Eggs arrived thursday, and here's how they looked:

33542_lfsilkieeggs.jpg

Right after unpacking... And assesing the damge the PO did to them
hmm.png
There are Standard/LF Silkie eggs on the right, (marked S), and a few on the lower right of the carton on the left. The rest are bantam Silkie eggs that came with them, and you can clearly see the size difference. Some of these banty eggs are actually pretty big (you can see the tall ones) for a Silkie too. Just hatched a few that were from show stock, and they were def smaller.

33542_lfsilkieeggs2.jpg

In the bator. These are large egg cartons, and the standard sized Silkie eggs fill them like the the eggs from my laying flock (wyandottes, marans. EE's). Shell color is darker on some, but it is a project
wink.png

Will be fun to hatch em' out and see what I get
smile.png
Did have some broken eggs and some detached air cells, so wish me luck for a good hatch from this batch
fl.gif
If all goes well I'll be looking for a large typey rooster soon
big_smile.png

Last edited:
I want some!!! i've refused to get silkies because i wanted "standard" sized silkies - you've already done the work to get them big!
yippiechickie.gif

i hope you post more eggs soon!

I have a "bigger than bantam sized" rooster....... put him with my biggest hen last year.....but no fertile eggs. Yet.
roll.png

One thing I am not liking, is losing so much of the body shape in the larger ones. I still want mine to have that silkie body, vault, etc etc.....
and the roo does.......however he is not as S-shaped body wise as I would like.

I had one go almost 5lbs and do not see how you can have any 10lbs! Those must be HUGE. I cannot wait for comparison pics!!!!!!!

Last edited:
One thing I am not liking, is losing so much of the body shape in the larger ones. I still want mine to have that silkie body, vault, etc etc.....
and the roo does.......however he is not as S-shaped body wise as I would like.

I think the goal with these birds that shadowpaints has is to improve upon type, while maintaining a large fowl size. There is really good size here, and they look all Silkie, but need improvement on leg feathering and comb type for now as well as later selecting for the more typey birds for breeding. I too want the s-shaped body, vault/better crest, etc.

Hence why I said I may be looking for a large typey roo soon. Hoping maybe some of the Silkie breeders with good birds on here might be able to help us out in that department
wink.png
I have no problem at all paying good money for a really nice rooster, as a really typey rooster from good lines will be worth his weight in gold as far as bringing in the real type these birds need. Hoping to find a really nice rooster in the future that maybe got too big to show. That is after I hatch out these eggs and have some birds to work with
fl.gif

Can you imagine having LF sized Silkie that conformed to the APA standard in all ways except the bantam part?! I think that would be really neat.​

i do have eggs on ebay right now. 12+ my username on there is Laidi_bugs_mom

ill be posting pics a few of my std cochin/ silkie crosses in a few! had 18/20 hatch
smile.png

we crossed my blue standard cochin roo with my standard silkies to help improve the leg/foot feathering and the type. here are a few of the chicks. these are likely the hens im keeping (yes they are sexed i sexed them when i pulled them out of the bator) i have another 10 that i am watching closely to decide on if i mkeeping them or not

012.jpg

this one has a single comb, but its skin is getting darker each day. 5 toes, lots of leg feathering. as long as it doesnt get lighter in skin color, i will keep it.

011.jpg

006.jpg

this one is my fav. really dark skin, walnut comb, 5 toes good leg and foot feathering... i have 3 others that look just like this one

005.jpg

just 5 that i grabbed
smile.png

this is the last batch of cochin silkie crosses. the next batch that lock down on the 2nd will all be full silkie

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom