Is there a natural wormer for dogs?

Chicky Joy

Songster
11 Years
Jun 22, 2008
I've used red pepper to worm my chickens but was wondering if there is a natural worm remedy for dogs? Anyone know the answer?

Hmmm, I believe pumpkin is a natural wormer. I would do some research first, but I am sure I have read that more than once. I believe it can be raw pumpkin and or canned pumpkin, not pumpkin filling. Again, do some research first.

Raw garlic and raw in hull pumpkins seeds. Grind them up together and put it in their food. DE is good too.. Done it for years. Never used Chemicals on my dogs and never any worms!!

Why don't you have a stool tested by a veterinarian to see IF the dogs actually have worms and if so what kind? Then you'll know what is best to use and whether its even needed. Different parasitic worms often need different treatments.
frow.gif

I know people fight about this, and that's not my intention, but after reading the same advice over and over and over again on deworming with DE, I just feel compelled to state my case here.. If you don't wanna hear a downer about DE and deworming, just skip right on to the next post..
gig.gif

IN MY OPINION:

DE isn't an anthelmintic. It's just not. At best, it's an arthropodicide.

The simple fact of the matter is that DE works by damaging the exoskeletal joints of arthropods.. The ant (or other exoskeletal invertebrate) walks through the DE, the sharp DE gets in the ant's joints, gets worked around with every movement the ant makes, punctures the exoskeleton like tiny shards of glass, and before ya know it, the ant's leaking ant juice from all its joints. Eventually, the ant dries up and dies. That's how DE kills an ant. Period. That's just fact -- anybody can look it up.

Now...consider the fact that stomach worms are not arthropods. There are no exoskeletal joints in a haemonchus contortus, for instance. No exoskeletal joints means there's nothing for DE to exploit on a haemonchus contortus..

That said, can someone please tell me how in the world a product that's designed to dry up an arthropod could possibly work on a non-arthropod in a wet environment?

I mean, it's non toxic, right? So it's not going to poison the worms... It doesn't cut our stomach lining up if we swallow it, so there's no reason it would cut a worm up from the inside out either...and given that most stomach worms tend to latch on and consume blood, the DE would have to be in the bloodstream to be consumed by the parasite anyway! I mean, seriously....I'm begging someone -- anyone -- to tell me how DE could possibly work against stomach worms.

Bear in mind that there have been numerous studies done on DE's impact on stomach worms, and I've yet to see one which concludes that DE is even remotely effective.

It's just not an anthelmintic..

And, btw...our dogs are worm-free, too. A big part of keeping a dog worm-free is keeping it from eating crap out of the yard. Worm eggs are shed in feces, hatch in feces, crawl up a blade of grass, dog eats grass (or something near grass), ingests the larva, and the larva then molt and change forms a few times as they become adults, mate, produce eggs, eggs are shed in feces...on and on it goes. To suggest that a worming regimine works well with a dog doesn't necessarily mean much, considering a dog doesn't normally eat grass anyway.. If your dog is worm free and doesn't spend much time outside or beyond a contained enclosure, the risk of acquiring worms out of thin air is obviously pretty low..

We don't worm our house dogs.. They were wormed as pups, but not since. Our dogs don't have a worm problem. Unless we take them to the dog park to graze or something, I don't suspect they'll ever have a worm problem.

Anyway...just my $.02.
smile.png

Quote:
I totally agree with you about DE and am glad you bravely stated it first. Unfortunately DE is ineffective against internal parasites. I would only use it for prevention of external parasites such as fleas, lice and mites. If you are seeing a bad infestation of those types of parasites I would use something else to quickly kill them, clean, clean, and clean their area some more and then go back to preventing with DE as those buggers (no pun intended) breed so darn fast you may never catch up otherwise.

Bottom line for me is test for internal parasites to see if you need to do anything first in order to not use any product you don't have to.

Back
Top Bottom