Is there a such thing as a hermaphrodite

jprice2ndlt

Songster
10 Years
Apr 3, 2009
Hodges, S.C.
Is there such a thing as a hermaphrodite chicken? I have one with the neck featers like a hen and pointy feathers around the rear like a rooster. It dont crow dont try to mate the hens i dont know just wondering this is the chciken in question. some people say its a roo and some had said lookis like a rir mix hen. there is a comparison to my roo.

26986_img_0360.jpg

26986_img_0357.jpg

He's kinda like a red mixed rooster I have that doesn't look as much like a roo, but he is crowing and trying to mate our hens. Seeing as you're right down the road from me they could be long lost brothers lol. Like someone else mentioned he may be holding back on the crowing and other activities if there are older or more dominant roosters around.

I think I have hermaphrodite turkey! I started with a trio of a rare breed -- convinced I had 2 toms and one hen. At 4 months I caught all 2 strutting -- but the one I thought was a hen would never gobble. The strutting lasted about a couple of weeks and "she" returned to being a hen. I lost the 2 toms to a neighbors dog -- and assumed I was left with a hen. About a week or so (now at 7 months old) my hen is now growing a snoot -- but not nearly as long as a tom would have at this stage. Once in a while "she" will try to mimic the toms I have of another breed -- but many times remains silent when they gobble. Not sure if this is a late bloomer -- or possibly the other. Gail in SC

Back
Top Bottom