Is there a way to keep your Rooster from fertilizing eggs?

JacksFlock

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 24, 2010
Maine
We really want to keep our rooster.

And we really want to have eggs to eat.

Is there a way to have both? Or does Gonzo have to go?

No need to get rid of him. Fertilized eggs are edible and look exactly the same as infertile eggs other than a small white bullseye in the yolk. It won't develop unless it's been in proper temperatures for several days.

Quote:
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
thumbsup.gif

They taste the same. There is really no difference. Nearly all farm fresh eggs are fertilized.

If you collect daily the embryo hasn't developed, so no your not eating baby chicks.

Quote:
Actually, Gonzo is a GREAT addition to your flock for more reasons than you think. He also protects your girls and they are happier when he is around. Eventually he may become aggressive towards you but just think of the good he is doing when you start planning Sunday dumplings and are planning on Gonzo as the main course.
wink.png

Fertile egg's wont have any difference if they are gathered fresh.Some people are "iffy" if there is a roo in the mix and wont eat them.As long as you keep your egg's picked up regularly and never refrigerate egg's you don't know whether they are fresh or not they will be fine.

Once I learned how to tell which eggs are fertile - My sister in law made some rude comment about fertile eggs. As I was cracking her store purchased eggs, I noticed some of them were fertile too. I didn't tell her. (YES, I AM MEAN THAT WAY!!! LOL) It just makes me kind of laugh at how fertile eggs wierd people out and yet I bet many have been eating them for years and had no idea!

As for my sister in law - Really, had you heard her go on about it and how ridiculous she is you would have let her eat them too I bet!

They also felt that me having a rooster would lead to hundreds of "unplanned chicken pregnancies" and warned I would be soon up to my earlobes in "unwanted chickens". So far no "unplanned chicken pregnancies" and I ordered every last chicken I have on my little chicken farm and I wanted each chick. I don't have the heart to tell them that chickens don't get pregnant. I think I will save that for another day.

All fresh chicken eggs are YUM fertile or not!
Caroline
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom