Is this a good coop for now ?

CPTChicks

Chirping
Feb 9, 2021
This is my coop where I house 1 rooster and 1 hen it may look small but they have lots of space to walk around

Attachments

• 7A7DB73F-8018-49F4-A56F-7673906441C9.jpeg
    7A7DB73F-8018-49F4-A56F-7673906441C9.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 23
Ouch. Just have to warn ya about one thing. Roosters are very... uhh.... sexually active. Your hen is gonna be tormented all the time and will be unlikely to lay very many eggs. You should have nine hens to a rooster, that way he does not affect egg production and overall hen happiness. As for the coop, it looks just fine for now.

I think this is much too small for your current birds. You really shouldn't keep a single hen with a rooster, you don't have room for a whole flock of hens with him until you address the coop being way too small judging from the fence posts and the rooster I'm guessing that whole set up is roughly 3'x4' so really maybe only enough room for 2 hens or so. You don't need a rooster to have eggs from the hens so I'd rehome him and get a second hen instead.

I think this is much too small for your current birds. You really shouldn't keep a single hen with a rooster, you don't have room for a whole flock of hens with him until you address the coop being way too small judging from the fence posts and the rooster I'm guessing that whole set up is roughly 3'x4' so really maybe only enough room for 2 hens or so. You don't need a rooster to have eggs from the hens so I'd rehome him and get a second hen instead.
I agree, though it would be quite hard to rehome a roo. Maybe cull him, that way she/he could get some fresh meat?

It looks like that coop will keep the chickens in, and protect them from the weather.

I think it looks large enough for two chickens.

Possible problems that I see:
--many kinds of predators can rip through chicken wire (the stuff with six-sided holes) to get in and eat your chickens. Raccoons and dogs are two of the most common predators that can do that. I can't tell how predator-proof the roof and the other sides are, either.

--The rooster might mate with the hen so often that she gets stressed, and the feathers can also come off her back from the rooster standing on her back so much while mating. Some roosters mate too often for one hen, some do not. If you do not get more hens (which would overcrowd the pen), then you may need to separate the two chickens at some point, to give the hen a break. If the hen starts getting bare patches on her back, or if she acts very stressed, that would be a sign to separate the two birds.

--If you get more chickens you will need a bigger pen. If the hen hatches eggs, those chicks will quickly grow so big they overcrowd the pen you have.

Do they get let them out of there or is that all they have and for now does that mean it's temporary your going to build bigger if it's temporary then yes and when you build bigger I would get more hens for your roo that way everyone will be happy
Hmm... Good point.

Back
Top Bottom