Is this a good reason to get geese?

Would it matter if my puppy is small and will likely always be small? My mother will get the geese regardless because she wants some.

The geese might be braver with her if she's small but that can easily backfire. Either the dog or the geese will get injured if the dog goes after them, and probably both. Geese bite and chest bump and beat up opponents with their wings, and could easily injure a small dog. Likewise, a small dog, even though it is small, still has teeth and can deal some nasty puncture wounds. Really best for all involved if they're kept separate.

I get that the puppy will play rougher than the chickens can handle. Hence the geese.
Basically I have no idea what to do. I guess every five minutes I will show her the chickens and flip out if she acts like she wants them. Nothing is working, because I am failing. I have to figure it out or Mother is going to send Clover away.

Huh. I really wish I had known to do it slowly before. I was so confident, and look at what that caused. All my fault.
She has only killed chicks. She scatters the adults. You can see she wants to herd. I thought she was done with killing since it had been so long. Then she got loose...

So it would not work if the chicken pecks her when I hold it?

Might actually work better. Get too close, experience pain. That would be good negative reinforcement. My dog never got too close to a broody with chicks again after the time my broody silkie flew right into his face. That was enough for him. As long as you don't think she'd react violently to being pecked, or think it was a fun game or something. I would pick the calmest chicken you have for this reason, and see if you avoid having her get pecked.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom