Is this a normal comb & wattle size??

MeSing2u

Chirping
Feb 27, 2022
Hi! I don't know if I've put this in the right place or not but I have a rooster with a huge comb and wattles. I wondered if anyone had ever seen chickens like this? The picture doesn't do it justice, it looks so much bigger in person.
In this picture/ video he has blood spots all over his comb and wattles. He got into a fight with one of my other roosters and bled a lot. It took me a bit to get to him to break it up.

20231103_140620.jpg
VideoCapture_20231014-152816.jpg

His comb/wattles are larger than usual even for a Leghorn, but not abnormally large, no. So long as he can see well and is able to eat, then I wouldn't worry. If you live in a cold climate, large single combs are susceptible to frost bite in freezing weather.
He is what his genetics have dictated. High % Mediterranean blood for sure. As Jed has said he may very well be susceptible to severe frozen comb and wattles.

His comb/wattles are larger than usual even for a Leghorn, but not abnormally large, no. So long as he can see well and is able to eat, then I wouldn't worry. If you live in a cold climate, large single combs are susceptible to frost bite in freezing weather.
I thought about that. We can get pretty cold winters. I wonder if keeping it covered in Vaseline would help?

I thought about that. We can get pretty cold winters. I wonder if keeping it covered in Vaseline would help?
It does not. Trust me. My SG rooster had huge comb and wattles, just like yours. Despite everything that I tried, he got severe frostbite early this year and lost more than half of his wattles. Vaseline can sometimes make things worse. He seems far happier now that they are smaller, though. I do feel bad that for a few days he was in so much pain and discomfort that I had to hand feed and water him, but it seems to have been worth it. ❤️

Back
Top Bottom