Is this a Painted rooster?

egg0

Chirping
8 Years
Sep 11, 2015
Long Beach, CA
Ok, so i really don't know much about genetics. I only learn of Paint chickens when i learn about about Ermine Amercaunas recently. I was like wow, i would like to add those strong Splash genetics to my backyard fibro easter egger mutts, lol like i said don't know much. I had this rooster he was always this weird unusual splash with lots of black in my mind. Is he a Paint? These pictures were taken when he was about 4 or 5 months. Unfortunately he had a short life as a predator got him last fall. He was not even a year yet. I hatch chicks every year and I never had anything like him and i have not introduce any new genetics to my flock in 6 years. He has a peacomb but maybe only 1 copy from what i could tell, he was very fibro black skin, grey tongue and all so I think both parents got to be fibro. I have some white skin hens also. If he is a Paint what would been his parents? It would probably still be a guess but what does everone think? Like one of it had to be the white fibro hen right? It's like 1 of only 2 white feather hens I have kept in my flock.

Black Cemani/Cream Legbar Rooster, full comb
Splash Fibro Rooster, Peacomb
Splash Fibro hen, Peacomb
Blue Fibro hen, Peacomb
Black Fibro hen, Peacomb
Black fibro hen, full comb
White fibro hen, full comb(White easter egger mom/Cemani Legbar dad)

Thanks!!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230416_023920_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230416_023920_Gallery.jpg
    342.1 KB · Views: 44
  • Screenshot_20230416_023946_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230416_023946_Gallery.jpg
    291.8 KB · Views: 20
  • Screenshot_20230416_024042_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230416_024042_Gallery.jpg
    567.1 KB · Views: 20
  • Screenshot_20230416_024127_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230416_024127_Gallery.jpg
    568.5 KB · Views: 21
Oh wow, surprise everyone says splash but good to know. Thank you responding.

That pic was taken when he was young but he was definitely a rooster. Crowed, fought other roos, and breeded all the time. I'm sure his genetics is still in some of the chickens I have right now.

I agree that bird looked splash.

A Paint bird would not be sproting those obviously blue splashed feathers.. they woiuld be black or blue but not both, though blue paint is a thing.. to me it's less desirable.

If he is a Paint what would been his parents?

Paint comes from black cross to dominant white.. here is a good little write up and description on the subject..

https://vjppoultry.com/tag/paint-si...re basically a black,“leak through” the white.

When you describe "full comb" I'm thinking you mean straight/single.

I love that pattern, he was beautiful! :love

I agree that bird looked splash.

A Paint bird would not be sproting those obviously blue splashed feathers.. they woiuld be black or blue but not both, though blue paint is a thing.. to me it's less desirable
Thank you! That's makes sense, he would only have black or white feathers. I'm still learning about Paint.

Yes, meant single comb. :)

He was a cool looking chicken. I guess confirm as a bit of an oddity now. I had really hoped to get more like him. Unfortunately.

Back
Top Bottom