is this a prolapse?

Henry325

Hatching
Jul 31, 2023
Hello, one of my chicken seems to have a prolapse, when she defecates a very large ball comes out of her vent that later goes back inside but what looks like hemorrhoids remains outside, she also has diarrhea and is having a hard time defecating, she is 4 days without laying eggs.
It's a week old that when I defecated I saw his normal feces but with a small red bump coming out of his vent and I didn't give it much importance, now I regret it.
I would really appreciate if someone can help me 🙏
IMG_20230728_202811.jpg
IMG_20230729_061754.jpg

Hello, one of my chicken seems to have a prolapse, when she defecates a very large ball comes out of her vent that later goes back inside but what looks like hemorrhoids remains outside, she also has diarrhea and is having a hard time defecating, she is 4 days without laying eggs.
It's a week old that when I defecated I saw his normal feces but with a small red bump coming out of his vent and I didn't give it much importance, now I regret it.
I would really appreciate if someone can help me 🙏View attachment 3594722View attachment 3594723

Welcome To BYC

Yes, that's a prolapse.

Can you tell if she's got an egg stuck inside the swollen tissue?

Soaking in epsom salts may help reduce some of the swelling, but it may take days to reduce. Keep the tissue moist with ointment, oil, honey, anti-inflammatory cream or sugar pack. You don't want the tissue to dry out.

It important to get extra Calcium into her. Calcium Citrate with D3 is best, but a TUMS will work o.k. until you can get the other.
You can find Calcium Citrate with D3 in the vitamin aisle of stores like Walmart, CVS, etc. Give 1 tablet daily, just pull down on her wattles, pop the tablet into the beak and let her swallow.

Bienvenido a BYC

Sí, eso es un prolapso.

¿Puedes decir si tiene un huevo atorado dentro del tejido inflamado?

Remojarse en sales de epsom puede ayudar a reducir parte de la hinchazón, pero puede llevar días reducirla. Mantenga el tejido húmedo con ungüento, aceite, miel, crema antiinflamatoria o paquete de azúcar. No querrás que el tejido se seque.

Es importante obtener calcio extra en ella. El citrato de calcio con D3 es lo mejor, pero un TUMS funcionará bien hasta que pueda obtener el otro.
Puede encontrar citrato de calcio con D3 en el pasillo de vitaminas de tiendas como Walmart, CVS, etc.
Me parece que tiene un huevo pegado, porque mientras le estaba dando hidrocortisona me mentí un poco el dedo y pude sentir la forma de un huevo, pero no lo siento por fuera. Aqui les dejo una foto que le tome hoy donde se ve por donde le sale su excremento, este prolapso solo se le ve cuando hace caca.
Welcome To BYC

Yes, that's a prolapse.

Can you tell if she's got an egg stuck inside the swollen tissue?

Soaking in epsom salts may help reduce some of the swelling, but it may take days to reduce. Keep the tissue moist with ointment, oil, honey, anti-inflammatory cream or sugar pack. You don't want the tissue to dry out.

It important to get extra Calcium into her. Calcium Citrate with D3 is best, but a TUMS will work o.k. until you can get the other.
You can find Calcium Citrate with D3 in the vitamin aisle of stores like Walmart, CVS, etc. Give 1 tablet daily, just pull down on her wattles, pop the tablet into the beak and let her swallow.
It seems to me that he has an egg stuck, because while I was giving him hydrocortisone I lied my finger a little and I could feel the shape of an egg, but I don't feel it on the outside. Here I leave a photo that I took of him today where you can see where his excrement comes out, this prolapse is only seen when he poops.

Attachments

• IMG_20230731_121932.jpg
    IMG_20230731_121932.jpg
    236.7 KB · Views: 11
I would try getting calcium into her and see if she can expel the egg.
Once she's able to expel the egg, then this may resolve the problem.
but how is it that you can see the part where his poop comes out and that area will not have been infected. I haven't seen anything like this on the forums.

but how is it that you can see the part where his poop comes out and that area will not have been infected. I haven't seen anything like this on the forums.
The large intestine and the uterus (reproductive tract) meet at the cloaca.

Normally, when an egg is laid there's a slight inversion of the vagina and the large intestine is blocked while the egg is being expelled.
It's sort of hard to explain and honestly most folks don't really *care* how it works.

A lot of times when there's a prolapse with an egg, you may see both "exits" at the same time.

As an example, this prolapse clearly shows both:

1690949121715.png

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...se-opinions-needed-asap.1587204/post-26971456

1690948660993.png

G

Normally, when an egg is laid there's a slight inversion of the vagina and the large intestine is blocked while the egg is being expelled.
It's sort of hard to explain and honestly most folks don't really *care* how it works.

A lot of times when there's a prolapse with an egg, you may see both "exits" at the same time.

View attachment 3596768

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...se-opinions-needed-asap.1587204/post-26971456

View attachment 3596760

View attachment 3596768

View attachment 3596760
Hello, thank you, now something yellow is visible and I don't know what it is, can you please tell me what that is and what I can do, because that is only seen when sh
IMG_20230802_001049.jpg
e defecates and when she finishes pooping the prolapse returns inside.

I would give her Calcium Citrate with D3 once daily for a week.

See that she's eating well and drinking.
Does she move around like normal or is she lethargic?
she eats little but drinks a lot of water, she spends most of her time still

Back
Top Bottom