Is this a rat?

Try gassing, whatever it is, with your car or truck, and a vacuum cleaner hose. First, jam vac hose ( one of those wet/dry vac hoses works well) in one of those holes. Then jam other end in car's exhaust pipe. Then, just let the car idle for a half hour or so, filling the tunnels with CO. That will take care of anything and everything in those tunnels.

Try gassing, whatever it is, with your car or truck, and a vacuum cleaner hose. First, jam vac hose ( one of those wet/dry vac hoses works well) in one of those holes. Then jam other end in car's exhaust pipe. Then, just let the car idle for a half hour or so, filling the tunnels with CO. That will take care of anything and everything in those tunnels.
You're absolutely right @JackE !! I remember now...my dad had gophers (whatever they were) and he took a propane tank, blocked other holes, and shot it full of propane...problem solved!

You're absolutely right @JackE !! I remember now...my dad had gophers (whatever they were) and he took a propane tank, blocked other holes, and shot it full of propane...problem solved!

That'll work too, but propane cost too much $$$ nowadays, much cheaper to use car exhaust. My Dad, told a story, when America was a different country, he and a group of his friends, at the age of 12, would take their .22 rifles, and a can of gas down to the local dump. They would pour about a cup of gas into one of the holes in the trash heap, wait a minute or so, to let the vapors seep into the heap. Then, toss a match in the hole. He said the whole heap would jump, then the rats would POUR out of it. He and his friends would blast away with their .22s and have a ball. Dad said his dog, who usually came along with them, didn't know which rat to grab first. Can you imagine today, a group of kids carrying rifles down through the middle of town? They would probably have the SWAT team come down on them.

That'll work too, but propane cost too much $$$ nowadays, much cheaper to use car exhaust. My Dad, told a story, when America was a different country, he and a group of his friends, at the age of 12, would take their .22 rifles, and a can of gas down to the local dump. They would pour about a cup of gas into one of the holes in the trash heap, wait a minute or so, to let the vapors seep into the heap. Then, toss a match in the hole. He said the whole heap would jump, then the rats would POUR out of it. He and his friends would blast away with their .22s and have a ball. Dad said his dog, who usually came along with them, didn't know which rat to grab first. Can you imagine today, a group of kids carrying rifles down through the middle of town? They would probably have the SWAT team come down on them.
lol grandpa told me there was a big hill in his town and the elementary school was at the bottom of the hill, the would split into two groups , one group riding there bikes down the hill trying to get to the school and the other group sitting on the steps of the school shooting bb guns up the road to tag them out. imagine seeing that. people used to be different thats for sure.

some places they use large hunting ferrets to clear out dens, if it doesnt kill whats in there it surely gets it out. to bad its not common like it used to be. ferreting sounds like so much fun

medium_083_rattus_norvegic.jpg

Are these our trademark mud balls?

Did the nest look like these?
I can't post the proper link.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom