Is this a rat?

Since I filled all the tunnels in the chicken pen with gravel I haven't seen any activity on that side. No digging, none of the "treats" taken. That was Saturday. That's kind of weird because I've filled them in multiple times only to have them dug back out multiple times. I do have to keep the light on in there in order for my video cam to work, so I don't know if that might have something to do with it.

There was a tunnel re-dug on the goose side though, so he hasn't completely abandoned ship.

I'm very tempted to put the nest boxes back in the chicken pen, put straw down and let the chickens back in but I think I will wait a little more. I feel bad for the chickens losing their home but I really don't feel like pulling it all up again if MF comes back.

And wouldn't it suck if he leaves without us finding out exactly what it is?

Since I filled all the tunnels in the chicken pen with gravel I haven't seen any activity on that side. No digging, none of the "treats" taken. That was Saturday. That's kind of weird because I've filled them in multiple times only to have them dug back out multiple times. I do have to keep the light on in there in order for my video cam to work, so I don't know if that might have something to do with it.

There was a tunnel re-dug on the goose side though, so he hasn't completely abandoned ship.

I'm very tempted to put the nest boxes back in the chicken pen, put straw down and let the chickens back in but I think I will wait a little more. I feel bad for the chickens losing their home but I really don't feel like pulling it all up again if MF comes back.

And wouldn't it suck if he leaves without us finding out exactly what it is?
Yes!...and never be sure whether it is gone...... or not.

A simple way to remove whatever it is would be to buy a foothold trap. Make sure you dip it in trap wax first; that removes the human scent from it. Set it and push it into the hole with a broom handle. Be very careful though. If it's a groundhog (call them whistlepigs here), they will defend their burrow. I get them all the time here. If you go that route, I have plenty of recipes for whistlepig!

Update: It's still out there and I still can't kill it. This is soooo frustrating. I reopened the chicken pen to let them back in and put their waterer in there but I'm not filling the feeders because I don't want to attract MF in there. So I have to go out twice a day to feed the chickens. I really want this taken care of before winter sets in.

I've used 11 bags of gravel to fill the tunnels and he still comes at night to re-dig them. The people at Home Depot are starting to talk about my gravel purchases.

I was thinking today how I can't set traps inside the barn/pasture because of my livestock, but maybe I should try setting them outside the pasture. I hate to think what I might get though. I'll probably have to deal with skunks and coons then. I don't know what else to do, I feel like I've tried everything.

Lol, so that's the first thing that popped out of your mouth too??
duc.gif

I have had so much fun reading this thread but i am so eager for you to find the evil culprit already! He is such a good hider, just make sure it isnt a female and doesnt add rats!

Back
Top Bottom