Is this a Red Cochin? 15 weeks

Ash56

Chirping
Premium Feather Member
Jun 20, 2023
San Antonio
I bought three 6 week old chicks from a neighbor about 3 months ago and I cannot figure out what this guy(or girl) is. The lady said she bought them from a feed store and two are for sure Cochins, one is a bantam Brahma, and the other she couldn’t remember the breed. The older this one gets the more confused I get on his or her gender and breed 😆 15 weeks old it’s driving me crazy because he has feathered feet but also the feathers are very slow to come in all the way unlike his flock mates. I considered Orpington too but I just don’t know
IMG_1260.jpeg
IMG_1273.jpeg
IMG_1259.jpeg
IMG_1266.jpeg

It doesn't really look like a Cochin to me. Wrong leg color and not very fluffy. I'm guessing it's some type of hatchery hybrid. It's definitely a pullet, as are the others in your pictures.
She has really odd feathered legs too, it’s just a strip straight down each leg. And the feathers won’t come all the way in

She has really odd feathered legs too, it’s just a strip straight down each leg. And the feathers won’t come all the way in
This would be pretty consistent with the way a Marans shanks feather in. A Cochin or Brahma will have much more full feathered shanks.

A really interesting bird here. It looks like a red sex link with feathered shanks. Can't say I've ever seen one.

Any more info on where she came from?

*edit* sorry, you gave plenty of back story about their origins.

That feather footed white one in the back is also an interesting combo.

This would be pretty consistent with the way a Marans shanks feather in. A Cochin or Brahma will have much more full feathered shanks.

A really interesting bird here. It looks like a red sex link with feathered shanks. Can't say I've ever seen one.

Any more info on where she came from?

*edit* sorry, you gave plenty of back story about their origins.

That feather footed white one in the back is also an interesting combo.
That’s exactly what I thought too about the red sex link. It’s really weird! The woman who sold them to us said she got them from a feed store (no clue what one but probably not Tractor Supply since it was Feb when they were born) as chicks and when the chicks got off heat she let her kids pick what they wanted and sold the other 4 for a dollar each lol. She said the white ones were full blooded Cochins but I do have my doubts about that as well. I’ll see if I have more pictures of the white ones. They’re very skittish. The first two pics are from this week and the last picture is them when they were probably 10 weeks, they’re huge.

Attachments

• IMG_8710.jpeg
    IMG_8710.jpeg
    677.1 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1247.jpeg
    IMG_1247.jpeg
    224.3 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_1253.jpeg
    IMG_1253.jpeg
    307.4 KB · Views: 21
the white ones are a bit closer to the appearance of a Cochin, but still off a bit. Perhaps because they aren't matured, but they should be fluffier than that.

A real mystery!

the white ones are a bit closer to the appearance of a Cochin, but still off a bit. Perhaps because they aren't matured, but they should be fluffier than that.

A real mystery!
When we got them I was really confused because they had barely any fluff on their legs at all but I didn’t know much about Cochins at the time so I kind of just went with it lol. This was them when they were 6 weeks.

Attachments

• IMG_7419.jpeg
    IMG_7419.jpeg
    457.1 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_7425.jpeg
    IMG_7425.jpeg
    305.2 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_7438.jpeg
    IMG_7438.jpeg
    266.2 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_7433.jpeg
    IMG_7433.jpeg