Is this a rooster thing? Or will hens do it too?

Oh well. At this point I would rather know. I order 5 extra chicks than I needed to account for roosters.
I got 17 chicks, 1 died of a heart attack/faikure around the 10 week mark.
16 left - 2 confirmed roos, 6 suspected roos
That's alot of rooster if the suspects are roosters. Do you have a plan for them?

That's alot of rooster if the suspects are roosters. Do you have a plan for them?
They said here they're eating them.
Thank you! I am finally starting to see these long thin neck feather on my flock. So slow in growth I guess for my bunch. My obvious rooster has these. So I am using him as a guide.

I am seeing a lot more pointy feather than I want though 😅 I will confirm them all through here eventually since I am new.

But this one is marked as a roo and will be eaten instead of cared for through the winter.

Yep, Hubby will be taught by a friend how to butcher the roosters.

I may keep 1 of them. CONS: It is our first flock, they are all the same ages, we have young children. PROS: they are in a fensed off area, chicks and watching them would be a good learning thing for kids.

We find out! My 6 year old is also attached to a suspected roo she named "Rainbow"

Yep, Hubby will be taught by a friend how to butcher the roosters.

I may keep 1 of them. CONS: It is our first flock, they are all the same ages, we have young children. PROS: they are in a fensed off area, chicks and watching them would be a good learning thing for kids.

We find out! My 6 year old is also attached to a suspected roo she named "Rainbow"
I'd keep one, this way you can expand your flock in the future

Back
Top Bottom