Is this a rooster?

rhruvo

Hatching
Apr 4, 2016
Can anyone tell me if this is a rooster? We got 3 Buff Orpington chicks that are about 4-5 weeks old. We brought them all home at the same time. This one has grown much faster and has a prominent comb. These aren't the best pictures but hoping someone can clue me in. Thanks!

Hi Rhruvo,

I don't know about Buff Orpingtons, but in other single-combed breeds I've owned, a big red comb showing up early means its a cockerel.

welcome-byc.gif

I've done a lil research about sexing young 2-3 week old chicks. I read that rooster chicks will make a real trilling type noise when they find a bug/worm. So I have dug up some worms put them with the lil guys and watch & listen. It's amazing out of the 5 babies there is 1 that runs around making that trilling sound. The other ones will run around with the worm but no chripping sounds. Anyone else ever find this to be true with rooster chicks?

I've done a lil research about sexing young 2-3 week old chicks. I read that rooster chicks will make a real trilling type noise when they find a bug/worm. So I have dug up some worms put them with the lil guys and watch & listen. It's amazing out of the 5 babies there is 1 that runs around making that trilling sound. The other ones will run around with the worm but no chripping sounds. Anyone else ever find this to be true with rooster chicks?

I've had pullet chicks do that. I just assumed they were so excited that they didn't know to sneak off to eat it instead of announcing that they had something good! :D

Back
Top Bottom