Is this a Royal Palm poult?

turkeymom

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 15, 2010
SE Tennessee
Ok, I was told these were 3-4 week old Royal Palm poults and that the lighter one might be a tom - it's quite a bit larger than the others, which are all the white/black like the one in this picture.
What do you think?
I'm wondering if the lighter one is a bourbon red or something. And I thought the royal palms should be more white at this age! I'm just confused.

Great. I looked so long for royal palms and then drove an hour each way to pick these up
sad.png

Oh well, they're sweet poults (but I could've gotten sweet poults a whole lot easier!).
Thanks!

i'm finding it very difficult to get pure poults too! the one on the left looks burbon to me. I bought a dozen each burbon and palm eggs, i got alot of mutts, and 2 of each... but now that my palms are feathering out some, i see some beige on them, so they are not truely what i wanted either
sad.png
Also, the chances for me to have gotten a pair are slim to none
sad.png
So i feel your pain!

Yeah, it's really frustrating. I wanted to get some good birds that I wouldn't mind breeding b/c my kids are getting interested and want to see them hatch. And I have no interest in breeding mutts, but I'm already attached to them. I guess I'll have to start petitioning my husband for a new coop, so we can get more next year!
lol.png

And I have no interest in breeding mutts

The mutts will eat good if you want to eat some. The one on the left does look like a BR and the other looks like RP. It does have a bit more black at 3 weeks than mine do. My sweetgrass look just like that at that age. Only time will tell! I know some people make mistakes and sell you the wrong thing but I really hate it when the knowingly do it! Any breeded should have been able to tell you right away that the one was not a RP for sure! But also, now you know!! Sometimes we get so blinded when we really want something and think we find it, even though it might be a little off and we still want it!

If ya'll get interested I do have pure RP
His tails a little ruffled in this pic but is nicely aligned and clean markings
smile.png

44771_dsc00765.jpg

Lighter one looks like a calico and the other a royal palm. No turkey is a mutt if you check out Porters you will see all sorts of colors that were originally crossed to make that color.

Back
Top Bottom