Is this a worm?

I haven't read all the posts. I have looked at the pictures.
I can see nothing in the poop pictures that would suggest she has worms.
The redish streak looks like shed intestine to me.
Slow crop which is what I think your hen has is often caused by other health problems.
The green poop would to me suggest liver failure but it is hard to tell if the colours are correct in the picture.
Some of the green matter could be vegitation but once again one would been to poke through it and know a bit about where and what she has been eating.

One factor that may have been overlooked is that there is a partial blockage between the crop and the gizzard. Tough vegitation, large pieces of corn perhaps pass through the crop and get stuck in the proventriculus. I have had an elderly hen with such a problem. My vet in Catalonia inserted a thin tube past the crop and into the proventriculus and bit by bit extracted what looked like cooked spinach. The hen recovered and her crop function returned to normal. The hen was ten years old at the time.

A comment about drugs.
Most of the drugs given to chickens often cause their own problems. Antibiotics destroy all the bacteria in the body and some bacterias are essential for proper digestion and general health.
I haven't read all the posts but I have noticed that a lot of drugs have been mentioned.

I agree with those who have said it's not a worm. The droppings to me look like a blockage somewhere, could be a reproductive problem, like cancer. It doesn't always mean the bird will get ascites, but it can still cause blockage or digestive stasis. The ultimate answer may not be known until a necropsy is done.
If you are using Safeguard then 5 days in a row is the correct way to worm.

Now that deworming is done, you may want to continue trying to treat as a plant blockage. Someone mentioned lack of grit as a possible cause. Unfortunately grass in the gizzard or blockages in the gizzard can be really entangled sometimes and also become sour. The water and coconut oil is going to be the best treatment forward along with considering other opinions on treating the sourness as I never have had to medicate sour crop or sour intestines, lots of water works for me.

I had a duck die from ingesting rubber bands, and he basically quit eating and on the final day he was passing pure water and not eating or drinking. I did a post necropsy and his gizzard was completely blocked, nothing could pass through. Grass can also tangle similarly, but hopefully your hen is not like that.

All the evidence points to worms. Your previous hen died a month ago, in a necropsy you would have seen if she had worms.
I think I replied before you edited.... The hen that died had a necropsy and there were no worms... that said she was lame and didn't spend time with Penny because Penny would peck at her...
If there are worms, I'm also starting to think it's a major blockage.... due to the overgrown grasses... I even found a foxtail last night in some liquid she passed...
This morning she was in a big puddle of liquid with what could be old grasses.... I think I'm going to go the ducolax route...and see what happens.
Thanks.

@Shadrach @dawg53 @coach723
I have to get to work this morning...so a lot to do before I go. Just want to thank you for your replies... I hope I can leave work early...
She woke up in a huge puddle (see photo, I gave her some baby food, so that might be the color...?) but it wasn't enough to empty her crop... I'm starting to think it's a major blockage... and force feed ducolax and coconut oil and hope for the best.. if it's intestinal shedding or worse, it is old, I don't see anything that looks like fresher blood... I'll check back when get home, in case anyone has further thoughts on the matter! But it might be best to post on the original thread.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...ter-and-has-barely-eaten-for-3-weeks.1531032/
Thanks again.

Attachments

• IMG_6413.jpeg
    IMG_6413.jpeg
    462.1 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Please read post #4 in this link and you'll have your answer: I recommend that you read the rest of the thread as well.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/what-is-this-adult-tapeworm.1456546/
Hi dawg53, just want to reply to this possibility. For what it's worth, I haven't seen anything that looked the least bit bloody (old or new) even what could be intestinal shedding didn't quite look like other intestinal sheddings I've seen. However, in on of today's droppings, there appears to be a small clot. See attached... So that makes me wonder if it's from her intestine...

Attachments

• IMG_6425.jpeg
    IMG_6425.jpeg
    308.8 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_6425 (1).jpeg
    IMG_6425 (1).jpeg
    73.6 KB · Views: 1
@dawg53 and @Wyorp Rock
Thanks for checking in!
The vet wants me to finish the Bactrim and he also gave us some Pro-pectalin... here's what I posted on the other thread about the visit.
----------
Hi all, well, we went to the vet. He said to discontinue the worming medication, keep taking the bactrim, and he gave us a course of Pro-pectalin (an antidiarrheal with Kaolin, Pectin & Probiotics.) It seems odd to me to give her an antidiarrheal on the heels of a stool softner!

We're to force feed her cat pellets, which I sort ot hate to do.. all the small pet store I went to had was pellets made out of salmon! I hope they are okay to use... I figure whatever cat food I were to get is formulated to have the same amount of the various nutrients.

He also said since my last hen had Marek's that Penny could have cancer in the proventiculus... which could be causing a blockage there... he honestly didn't seem too hopeful and he only charged me for the meds!

When we got home she had another watery dropping (see attached,) this time with what appears to be a small clot - the first time I've seen anything resembling blood... interestingly if you increase the size, it looks like you can see a lot of the grass seed she's been eating... but clearly not digesting :(

I was going to attach a video (couldn't figure out how) of Penny relieved to be back from the vet and walking to the back yard where she has been foraging for grass seed... Not looking to worse for the wear, but definitely weaker... and I'm spent, this is really hard.
-------------
P.S. Right now, just before writing this I checked on her and she'd passed more of the same.... cleaned it up, going to bed.... She's one tough chicken! But I noticed just now that one of her wings was hanging a little... she's managed to keep her wings up until now... I hope she's still with us in the morning.

Attachments

• IMG_6425.jpeg
    IMG_6425.jpeg
    308.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6425 (1).jpeg
    IMG_6425 (1).jpeg
    73.6 KB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom