Is this baby peacock a male or female?

Thanks so much for the reply and info. For some reason I do feel like it's a boy pea chick too. I kinda hope it is, but I'd still love it either way if it was a peahen. :) I'm glad to talk to someone that has been in my place before.

I really need to teach mine to catch it's own bugs too. It's pretty hard because I have cats and he/she is at the tiny stage of life. Do you think in about a month it will be big enough to venture outside with me without a cat trying to pounce on it?

Are you saying it might attack me when it gets older?

That is a very cute picture of him! What type of peacock is he?
Yeah I hatched out Peep in high school. It was the last day of school before summer vacation and he hatched out (with help). When Peep got a bit bigger than he was in that photo I put him outside in a wire floored pen. I left a heat lamp out there for him and at night he would chase and eat the bugs that were attracted to the light. They are pretty good about catching bugs from instinct. I don't know how big yours would be in a month. I always forget how fast they grow.
roll.png
I always have to watch out for peachicks here. Our old dog was afraid of the adult birds but would try to attack the peachicks so I would have to watch out. Our new dog would probably be the same way. I don't have a cat but I know how sneaky and fast they can be. When your chick gets bigger you could take it out with supervision and just make sure it stays close to you.

If your peachick is a male it could attack you when it grows up. I am not saying it will I just want to warn you. When I was raising up Peep I had people tell me the same thing and I didn't really see how he could become an aggressive bird, but some people hand raise them and when they grow up they become aggressive. I remember one lady who hand raised a peachick and it was a male. He would lie on his back in her arms like a baby. When he grew up he got to where he would randomly attack her. It all depends on their personality and if they do become aggressive it is usually only during the breeding season because they are not afraid of people and they see you as a threat to their territory. I think even if they are aggressive like that they will still let you pet them at least when it is not breeding season. Not sure...I know when Peep got older and I went to handle him, he would sometimes scratch me without meaning to. Their toenails get so big and somewhat sharp so you have to be careful. Recently I walked into the pen and Peep came out from behind a bush and pecked at my shoe then kicked at me giving me a long scratch on my leg. I think he meant to try and mate with my foot or I it could have been that I accidently walked into his fight with my white peacock Frosty (Peep was losing the fight. My poor boy was never taught how to fight another peacock). I don't think he really meant to hurt me, but I just have to watch out for random stuff like that. He likes to follow me around the pen.

When your peachick gets older it will probably start to do what Peep does when it wants to be pet. Peep walks up to me and pecks at my fingers until I pet him under his chin and on top of his head. He always wants to be pet when I go out to the pen to feed them. If he had his way I would stay there all day petting him.
roll.png

Peep is from a pied peacock and a pied peahen so he is either a dark pied or a split to white peacock. He has a few white flight feathers but other than that he looks like an India Blue.

I would say at least a month is when you can have he or she around you all the time. I wouldn't think he/she would attack you when older. If it turns to be a peahen and she met a male and had a nest or chicks she might get a little defensive though usually they warn you like dogs will growl peahens they will fan like so. My two youngsters at the time didn't like her but now I got my male and the other youngster rather trying to peck each other or preen each other. I lost this hen and my other hen. Now I got my IB male left and Spalding split to white female left. I'm trying to find an IB laying hen right now in my area to give Colbolt a girl but so far no success. The primary wing feather sexing can have flaws when it comes to Spalding peafowl especially when you don't expect Spalding peafowl.

Last edited:
Here is Majora. Now almost 2 months old. Still not sure about the gender, anyone have a clue?

Maybe I'm just paranoid, but does she always stand like that? How do her poops look? She just looks a little off to me.

-Kathy

Not always. I actually think its a boy. He usually stands like this.

Last edited:
Whatever it is, it's cute! I don't wan to sound like a nagging pest, but now might be a good time to get a baseline weight. At seven weeks mine weigh about 800 grams, so I'd expect your chick should weigh closer to 1000 grams at 8 weeks.

-Kathy

Well those could be possible, but I'm just considering male because it has blue feather coming in on the neck.

Back
Top Bottom