Hazelbunny

Songster
6 Years
Jan 19, 2018
Ontario, canada
I'm making my silkies a separate coop and I might be able to make it before winter.

I'm getting a large dog house that I'm going to make a coop out of today and im deciding where I want it and how big the run will be.

For the run would 94 inches long and 86 inches wide be big enough for 7 silkies maximum?
It would be about 56 square feet

Last edited:
That is one big dog house!
Yes, I'd think 56 sq ft is big enuf for 7 silkies. Usually they say 4 sq ft per chicken in coop, that's for standard size chickens.

I'd try to double it, if you got the space ... silkies like to raise babies too ... which need more space ... ;)

I don't think you can even have too much space!

I'd try to double it, if you got the space ... silkies like to raise babies too ... which need more space ... ;)

I don't think you can even have too much space!

I have a separate coop for mama silkies so the chicks wont get pecked and stuff.
I want to make this as big as I can but I dont think I could double it. Tomorrow I'm going to see the maximum size I can make it

What is restricting your size?

Other buildings in the way?

Zoning laws, too close to property line?

Money?

Other pens/runs?

The biggest problems in my wat is that in the spring and fall we get heavy flooding and there is loads of space that gets completely flooded.
And my parents font like to spend money on animals and I cant afford to buy stuff. Luckily we should have all the things we need though

I bet you'll figure out something just fine. I like to hear about kids who keep chickens, a noble endeavor! Good luck!!!!!!

Oops! I meant for the run not the actual coop.
The dig house is smaller than that buys its definitely big enough
I got the diff between coop and run.
But I question the size of the dog house....especially in your climate.
Are your silkies bantams or the larger version?
The flooding is definitely a concern, as is the 'parents paying' aspect.

Back
Top Bottom