Is this blood in stool? - 2 week old chicks

Henschickspups

Songster
Apr 3, 2023
Over the past week the Easter Peeps have been spending time outside. Today I noticed one with what looks like blood in stool. I think they're too young for shedding intestines. They've also not had berries or anything red.

I have corid on hand.

If I treat these guys, do I begin treating the chickies that live outside too? This is the first time I've noticed odd colored stools.

Attachments

• 16822551099982367365245954590536.jpg
    16822551099982367365245954590536.jpg
    671.2 KB · Views: 31
And it may be the last you notice of this orange colored substance.

It's not blood which would present as ruby red. It's intestinal shed which is normal in chickens to show up in poop once in a great while. As long as all the chicks are behaving normally, there's nothing to worry about.

But do keep an eye on their poop over the next few days. If you see more in increasing amounts, then it can indicate a possible intestinal infection.

And it may be the last you notice of this orange colored substance.

It's not blood which would present as ruby red. It's intestinal shed which is normal in chickens to show up in poop once in a great while. As long as all the chicks are behaving normally, there's nothing to worry about.

But do keep an eye on their poop over the next few days. If you see more in increasing amounts, then it can indicate a possible intestinal infection.

It is red - I'm guessing the photo isn't the greatest. I checked, my hens also had some in their poo this morning. Which j would have chalked up to intestinal shed, had it not been for the same in the chicks.

I put them on paper towels for a bit to get a better idea of if it's still happening. If it is intestinal shedding, would it still be in subsequent poos? There have been several with some liquidy red stuff, not as much, and it's drying brown. But - I'll be first to say I could be paranoid, and it wasn't as liquidy as I thought.

You would be able to tell the difference in color and also if it was of tissue consistency. Blood is, well, blood, and it has properties unique to it.

By all means start them on the Corid.

Back
Top Bottom