Is this bumblefoot?

Melsp08

In the Brooder
Sep 19, 2022
Is this bumblefoot? No other symptoms like limping or swelling. I check their feet fairly regularly and found this!

Attachments

• C1A67AE7-8417-4D14-9399-02FF1AE54805.png
    C1A67AE7-8417-4D14-9399-02FF1AE54805.png
    4.1 MB · Views: 16
  • 0A3A906D-FEC2-49F4-9437-15F0FC036C99.png
    0A3A906D-FEC2-49F4-9437-15F0FC036C99.png
    4.1 MB · Views: 7
Good catch! That definitely looks like the start of bumblefoot to me. Hopefully since you caught it early it will heal up if you just clean it, apply some antibiotic cream and keep it wrapped and clean for a while. If the scab gets bigger or the area starts looking more swollen you may need to soak off the scab and squeeze out the pus/infection.

Soak the foot in Epsom salt water, then use tweezers to carefully pull out the "corn", which is the scab. Then bandage it up, and do that once a day until she is fully healed. New bandages each day.

Good catch! That definitely looks like the start of bumblefoot to me. Hopefully since you caught it early it will heal up if you just clean it, apply some antibiotic cream and keep it wrapped and clean for a while. If the scab gets bigger or the area starts looking more swollen you may need to soak off the scab and squeeze out the pus/infection.
That’s so great to hear! I’m so relieved I noticed it. Usually I check weekly, but this past month has been so busy, and with the winter weather, I’ve lost track of time since I last had a look at their feet. I’ll keep doing doing the daily epsom salt soaks and applying the antibiotic cream I have for their feet and hopefully that does the trick 🤞 if not, I’ll try to get the scab off!

Just an update for future use: his feet have cleared up! I think they were abrasions from running in the snow. He’d been chasing the other ducks a lot. 😅 We did daily epsom salt soaks and applied an antibiotic cream daily as well, and it helped a bunch! It took some time to fully heal, but almost back to normal now.

Back
Top Bottom