Is this bumblefoot?

Cajunchuck

Hatching
Oct 30, 2022
Hello everyone! one of my year-old Jersey Giant hens is having problems. She looks lame on the right leg and is struggling to walk. I noticed this last week and thought maybe she sprained or otherwise hurt her leg. Put her up in the quarantine coop but she's not getting better. Eating and drinking fine though. Last evening I noticed a scab on the sole of the foot. Took a pic today. I'm pretty certain this is bumblefoot but I'm a bit new at raising chickens so I'm not sure. Today I bought some supplies, soaked the foot in epsom salt, applied triple antibiotic (the plain kind) and applied draw salve before I wrapped it with vetwrap. Can anyone look at my pic and give their advice? Thanks so much!

Attachments

• IMG_4364.jpg
    IMG_4364.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 45
Hello everyone! one of my year-old Jersey Giant hens is having problems. She looks lame on the right leg and is struggling to walk. I noticed this last week and thought maybe she sprained or otherwise hurt her leg. Put her up in the quarantine coop but she's not getting better. Eating and drinking fine though. Last evening I noticed a scab on the sole of the foot. Took a pic today. I'm pretty certain this is bumblefoot but I'm a bit new at raising chickens so I'm not sure. Today I bought some supplies, soaked the foot in epsom salt, applied triple antibiotic (the plain kind) and applied draw salve before I wrapped it with vetwrap. Can anyone look at my pic and give their advice? Thanks so much!
Assuming it wasn’t a bit of dirt that washed off, I would say it is probably bumblefoot. It sounds like you are doing the right things.

No the scab was there after a ten plus minute soak. Thanks! Going to try the non-surgical soak every day method. I hate to see these little guys hurting.

Is it a scab, or does she have dirt impacted into a toe pocket? It's hard to tell from the picture but almost looks like it could be either one. I have a few hens that have little pockets under their toes and it can look like bumblefoot scabs when they get muck packed in there. Since it isn't surface level dirt in that case, it likely wouldn't come out with a soak. If it is dirt, it should come right out with a little bit of very gentle manipulating with a pair of tweezers or similar. The other thing would be to check her leg all the way up to the hip joint, making sure everything moves smoothly and there are no strange sensations or sounds, just in case she injured the leg or hip. If it's definitely a scab and there are no other issues, then it would most likely be bumblefoot and continuing the current treatment should help.

I palpated her leg up as high as I could and didn't notice anything strange. She didn't wince or anything but I understand chickens can be pretty stoic about it. She also seems to be putting a bit more weight on it since I wrapped it. Maybe the gauze padding is helping? Guess I'll reassess tomorrow when I unwrap for her treatment.

I palpated her leg up as high as I could and didn't notice anything strange. She didn't wince or anything but I understand chickens can be pretty stoic about it. She also seems to be putting a bit more weight on it since I wrapped it. Maybe the gauze padding is helping? Guess I'll reassess tomorrow when I unwrap for her treatment.
You could use one of those corn rings under the bandages to make sure she keeps pressure off it.

Back
Top Bottom