Is this chicken a splash or a paint?

Babecknmama

In the Brooder
9 Years
Mar 24, 2010
Beaumont, Texas
This chick hatched from a white silkie . It hatched out totally white but after several weeks 2 black spots appeared on its back and this is what it looks like now. I have the white silkie mom in a pen with a sky blue cuckoo silkie roo and was hoping for a white baby with cuckoo barring but have always gotten a white baby from her---until now. I recently put a black silkie roo in the pen with the whole mix of blues, blacks, and cuckoos. Soooo, anyone know what it is?? Thanks for any responses.

Humm, I'm not a paint expert but I do know someone who maybe able to help. I will forward your link to her. I have splashes and just started with paints but my splashes have more spots then that but my paints have those kinds of spots but darker.. Humm.....

Thanks, I appreciate your help. Still do not know all the silkie color variations. Would be so excited if it was a paint baby but love the splashes too.

Ok here's the response I got from my paint friend, hope this helps...

It would help to have more pictures, but from that one it looks paint. It even appears that it may have the champagne leakage on the back of the neck that is so common with paints. One good way to tell is to look and see if those spots are a cluster of SOLID black feathers, or if the spots are feathers that have black and white on them. Paint should be black only on the paint feathers. Splash should have a mix of color on the same feathers

Thanks so much for finding out the information for me! I know so little about the paint variation.

I had so much trouble trying to get pics downloaded to this site. Called my son and he was only able to get only one downloaded and no more. So frustrating! I have other pics of the baby he downloaded to my profile--I think----or somewhere in my information.
hu.gif
. But I can e-mail a few other pics to her if she is willing to look at them.

A paint---maybe! So excited!!
So how did this happen?? The black roo obviously is the sire but I thought you had to breed back the babies from the 1st breeding to the parent in order to get the paint coloring?

Anyway, so appreciate your taking the time to help me. Thanks

Found Them!! He put the other pictures of the chick in my album. He is a good boy!

So I guess your friend could click on my info and look at them and see if she can make a determination from them. Leslie

Thanks so much for finding out the information for me! I know so little about the paint variation.

I had so much trouble trying to get pics downloaded to this site. Called my son and he was only able to get only one downloaded and no more. So frustrating! I have other pics of the baby he downloaded to my profile--I think----or somewhere in my information.
hu.gif
. But I can e-mail a few other pics to her if she is willing to look at them.

A paint---maybe! So excited!!
So how did this happen?? The black roo obviously is the sire but I thought you had to breed back the babies from the 1st breeding to the parent in order to get the paint coloring?

Anyway, so appreciate your taking the time to help me. Thanks
Here's my email address: [email protected], send me as many pictures as you would like too. I have problems getting pictures to load on this site as well, I have put in a trouble shooting form and all's I got back was it was me. But I did find one thing out to close all internet explore tabs keep this one open and then I can get them to load..

try using a cuckoo hen covered by a white rooster...if its dom white then the barring may not show up but all the cockerels should be barred if im not mistaken about that....still learning about the genetics myself but from what i have been told any color rooster over a barred hen should give you sex links with males being barred might give that a try....if that works try putting the first batch of pullets back under their dad to see if those offspring produce barred babies

Back
Top Bottom