Silkie Color Question

ravensravelry

Songster
Apr 20, 2023
Northeast Texas
Hello! I have a show quality black silkie hen, a white satin silkie hen, a white silkie hen and a black silkie hen, and a buff silkie hen. The mothers have thrown out a few beautiful gray babies before, so I believe(?) That makes one of the white mom's recessive white?, But I have only a buff silkie roo. I have mille fleur Cockerels growing out for a silkie/mille fleur project I plan on starting soon. My question is, I have heard that buff paired with buff is the only good thing to come out of buff silkies. What color rooster would give me the most color chances for chicks? Paint? Splash? Chocolate? Dunn? Black? Blue? Please send help 😂

Meyer Hatchery has the low down on breeding for splash and paint:

https://blog.meyerhatchery.com/2023/05/splash-and-paint-gentics/#:~:text=Paint Silkies are produced by,by using paint-colored parents. For chocolate, I just bought one and not sure how this one was created. It's only 4 months old now, but if it's a rooster, I can breed a chocolate rooster to a black hen, and all the chocolate chicks will be pullets, and all the black chicks will be roosters, but carrying a gene of the chocolate

Last edited:
Hello! I have a show quality black silkie hen, a white satin silkie hen, a white silkie hen and a black silkie hen, and a buff silkie hen. The mothers have thrown out a few beautiful gray babies before, so I believe(?) That makes one of the white mom's recessive white?, But I have only a buff silkie roo. I have mille fleur Cockerels growing out for a silkie/mille fleur project I plan on starting soon. My question is, I have heard that buff paired with buff is the only good thing to come out of buff silkies. What color rooster would give me the most color chances for chicks? Paint? Splash? Chocolate? Dunn? Black? Blue? Please send help 😂
You may like this link too. I learned a lot about what colors to breed and what result you'll get: https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...pington-color-genetics.1219858/#post-19507253

Back
Top Bottom