Is this chicken a splash or a paint?

Oh wow! Thanks for the big pics! I'm so impressed--just don't know that much about computers--my age is showing!

Grateful for the info on the cuckoo breeding. I have 2 beautiful sky blue cuckoo hens in this bunch of babies --I will put them in my white silkie pen with my big roo. Have a beautiful one from David Sapp. Dont know a lot of chicken genetics yet, but trying to learn.

Now I need to read up on paint genetics to see how to duplicate this paint baby---if it is one. Thanks to Lacrystol for helping me.
Thanks again hdowden.

OK there is a Forum on here that will be able to tell you for sure if it's a Splash or Paint. I will send you the link and suggest you post this on there to see what others may say. I think he or she is really pretty, but me personally is leaning more on the Splash, possible a blue splash, but I'm not expert in the paints so give this a try...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/429754/the-american-paint-silkie

I tried to post in the American Paint thread and could not get the pictures to upload or download or whatever you call it.
I am just not very computer literate. Can do the normal stuff but that's about it.

Oh well---so disappointed as I was checking my computer several times a day to see if someone could tell me.
Whenever my son comes over again I will ask him to try and do it for me.

Thanks Lori for the information. Babecknmama

Lori--again thank you for helping me. So appreciate your taking the time to post my question in the american paint thread--I did see it a while ago.

Glad to have an answer to what she is but now I have to ask another question---How did I get a splash from a white hen and either a cuckoo or a black rooster, because they are the only 2 in the pen with her?? I put her next to my other splash hens and her spots are darker and her body lighter. So maybe she is just a light splash??

These genetics so confuse me.

That baby looks like a splash to me. The white is probably covering a blue gene, so when bred to blue, you got splash. The silvery base color is a giveaway...and the fact that the spots are more diffuse rather than bright black spots. Congrats though, you have a really pretty splash Silkie!

You said she was with a blue cuckoo, which would give you splash if she is hiding a blue gene (recessive white covers everything), and/or the "black" could be a dark blue

Last edited:
Thanks Aschenfire for the genetics information. I tell you, color genetics in silkies is so exciting but also can be confusing. Sometimes you never know what you will hatch! My cuckoo roo is a beautiful sky blue or 'lavender blue' cuckoo from Canyon Critters. He has had some beautiful silvery blue cuckoo babies from my lavender girls.

Also I was washing the white silkie mom of this baby yesterday, and on her back, hidden under her cushion is a black feather! Looked over the rest of her and could not find anymore. So maybe SHE has the hiddlen splash gene. LOL!

Learn something new every day!!
Aschenfire--writing down your information. Have to---at my age I tend to forget!! :)

It is not uncommon to find a single black feather in a white. In my experience, as the bird ages, you will find them more frequently.

You cannot get a splash when one parent does not carry the blue gene. So, unless the black or cuckoo is actually a very dark blue or a blue cuckoo, the chick cannot be splash. Correct that you cannot tell whether the white carries blue or not.

The OP probably could not get phtos to post because of being a new member with insufficient posts.

I believe the OP stated that the cuckoo is a light blue. I am going to assume that her hen carries blue. Or is a lightly marked splash herself.

Back
Top Bottom