Is this cocci or something else? (Picture attached)

Jul 21, 2022
I got baby chicks from Rural King about 8 days ago. The nice employee let me personally choose each chick and Ialways looking for active, fiesty and liveliest chicks. These chicks appeared to be only a day or two old. Some of the tubs did have damp bedding and one tub had a dying chick but it appeared to be a trampling incident due to the odd angle the chicks wing was in, it was laying on the floor of the tub with its wing held out at an odd angle and panting heavily. I am a fairly new chicken mom and it didn’t even cross my that the chick may be sick. All the other chicks in that tub seemed ok. Some were up running around. Some were huddled up sleeping but no alarm bells went off in my head that there could be an infectious cause for this suffering chick. I bought 15 chicks of varying breeds from multiple tubs and brought them home. The next day I noticed one of my chicks acting lethargic and she was a runt so I hand fed her some yolk and electrolyte mixture. She seemed to perk up for a while. Later the same day another chick started exhibiting those same symptoms so I hand fed her as well. During the next 12 hours I hand fed the chicks to try to help them get strong and stay strong. Also during this time they both had pasty butt multiple times that I cleaned as soon as I noticed. I figured with the excessive handling of the chicks and multiple vent cleanings they were stressed but given time they would bounce back. I lost both chicks about 4 hours later. I lost 4 more chicks, one per day, all with similar symptoms. Then 2 days ago I noticed something unnerving in the brooder. Bloody watery poo. I’ve lost 8 chicks in 8 days. The remaining chicks are somewhere in the neighborhood of 10-14 days old. I lost my first chick at less than a week old. I didn’t expect to see cocci in babies so young. Anyone else experienced this? Not all of the chicks have bloody Poo before they die. Only the last 2-3 have had that symptom. Could it be something else besides cocci? How should I treat the remaining chicks? Is there any hope for their survival?
B7965F6A-4A3A-47B8-878A-171B8766AC40.jpeg

Sorry for your loss. I would get some Corid liquid or powder from the feed store and start treatment for coccidiosis. Dosage is 2 tsp of the liquid or 1.5 tsp of the powder per gallon of water for 7 days. Give undiluted Corid 0.1 ml orally 1-2 times a day as well as a boost. Make sure they drink or dip their beaks often. Be sure to check them for pasty butt daily.

Sorry for your loss. I would get some Corid liquid or powder from the feed store and start treatment for coccidiosis. Dosage is 2 tsp of the liquid or 1.5 tsp of the powder per gallon of water for 7 days. Give undiluted Corid 0.1 ml orally 1-2 times a day as well as a boost. Make sure they drink or dip their beaks often. Be sure to check them for pasty butt daily.
Thank you. Based on other stories I've read here I suspected it might be cocci but again, the extremely young age of the chicks gave me pause. Sorry if this seems like a dumb question but my Tractor Supply only has the corid powder, how would I give that undiluted?

I got baby chicks from Rural King about 8 days ago. The nice employee let me personally choose each chick and Ialways looking for active, fiesty and liveliest chicks. These chicks appeared to be only a day or two old. Some of the tubs did have damp bedding and one tub had a dying chick but it appeared to be a trampling incident due to the odd angle the chicks wing was in, it was laying on the floor of the tub with its wing held out at an odd angle and panting heavily. I am a fairly new chicken mom and it didn’t even cross my that the chick may be sick. All the other chicks in that tub seemed ok. Some were up running around. Some were huddled up sleeping but no alarm bells went off in my head that there could be an infectious cause for this suffering chick. I bought 15 chicks of varying breeds from multiple tubs and brought them home. The next day I noticed one of my chicks acting lethargic and she was a runt so I hand fed her some yolk and electrolyte mixture. She seemed to perk up for a while. Later the same day another chick started exhibiting those same symptoms so I hand fed her as well. During the next 12 hours I hand fed the chicks to try to help them get strong and stay strong. Also during this time they both had pasty butt multiple times that I cleaned as soon as I noticed. I figured with the excessive handling of the chicks and multiple vent cleanings they were stressed but given time they would bounce back. I lost both chicks about 4 hours later. I lost 4 more chicks, one per day, all with similar symptoms. Then 2 days ago I noticed something unnerving in the brooder. Bloody watery poo. I’ve lost 8 chicks in 8 days. The remaining chicks are somewhere in the neighborhood of 10-14 days old. I lost my first chick at less than a week old. I didn’t expect to see cocci in babies so young. Anyone else experienced this? Not all of the chicks have bloody Poo before they die. Only the last 2-3 have had that symptom. Could it be something else besides cocci? How should I treat the remaining chicks? Is there any hope for their survival? View attachment 3213215
What temperature are you keeping this brooder at?
What exactly are you feeding too?

Back
Top Bottom