Is this cockerel a Prairie Bluebell?

Chicken Pate

In the Brooder
May 19, 2022
I got this pretty guy and another chick at Rural King first week of April. They were both supposed to be Prairie Bluebell pullets. I think he's about 8 or 9 weeks old in these pics. Pretty sure he's a roo, but not as sure about the Prairie Bluebell part. It's hard to find any pics of Prairie Bluebell roos and I was hoping someone here has experience with them. He has a nice looking single comb, which is what has me wondering, since I thought they were supposed to have a pea comb. The other chick has a pea comb and also has muffs and a beard, so I'm pretty sure she's a Prairie bluebell. Also, if he's not a Prairie Bluebell, any thoughts on what breed? Thanks in advance for any insight you can give me.
blueroo1.jpg
blueroo2.jpg
blueroo3.jpg

I got this pretty guy and another chick at Rural King first week of April. They were both supposed to be Prairie Bluebell pullets. I think he's about 8 or 9 weeks old in these pics. Pretty sure he's a roo, but not as sure about the Prairie Bluebell part. It's hard to find any pics of Prairie Bluebell roos and I was hoping someone here has experience with them. He has a nice looking single comb, which is what has me wondering, since I thought they were supposed to have a pea comb. The other chick has a pea comb and also has muffs and a beard, so I'm pretty sure she's a Prairie bluebell. Also, if he's not a Prairie Bluebell, any thoughts on what breed? Thanks in advance for any insight you can give me.View attachment 3128786View attachment 3128783View attachment 3128778
Leghorn mutt?

Here is what I believe is my Prairie Bluebell Roo. He looked very similar to yours around 9 weeks old. He is now around 28 weeks or so. Keep posting pictures for me and we can compare!

Attachments

• Goose.jpg
    Goose.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 42
s hoping someone here has experience with them. He has a nice looking single comb, which is what has me wondering, since I thought they were supposed to have a pea comb.
That's what they say about their starlight green eggers too and yet the pics on their site show straight combs.

It just means whatever "araucana" they used must have had a gene for single comb hidden under their pea.. therefor throwing some straight comb chicks when bred to another straight comb bird.

Leghorn mutt?
By very definition according to Hoover's, nice call.. :thumbsup

From their site..
"Our Prairie Bluebell Egger™ lays a novel blue egg but produces higher quality eggs than a pure Araucana. This breed was created by crossing Araucanas and White Leghorns, this creates a chicken that lays a large quantity of eggs that have blue shells"

Back
Top Bottom