Is this egg bound or hemorrhoids

SherylCombs

Chirping
Mar 25, 2020
Fredonia, Kentucky
We have a chicken who is not well. She has been sick for two weeks. We been giving her antibiotics, Pedialyte and yogurt and molasses water. We even used Monistat on her for fungus for maybe vent gleet now she is trying to push and here vent is swollen and red. I just went to get some preparationH and tried to push it in but it won't stay. As you can see she has her flesh and then a green spot but it is really looks like a cooked boiled egg yolk. The preparationH may be helping it feel better but I don't know.

Attachments

• IMG_20230219_180249261_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230219_180249261_HDR.jpg
    435.5 KB · Views: 15
After dealing with vent gleet for months and several vet trips and a vet bill of 2000 dollars
I learned not all antibiotics work
Some make things worse
We are still waiting on the fungal tests but they found 4 bacterials elevated way higher then normal and this is after already taking meds for the intestine bacterial infection
The intestine cleared but the gleet didn’t
Now we are on both amoxicillin for one of the bacterials and baytril for the other 3 as each type only certain meds work
What ever meds you are giving may not cover what she has going on
Seems like baytril covers most but not all
Getting testing done on the gleet itself may help if you can

We have a chicken who is not well. She has been sick for two weeks. We been giving her antibiotics, Pedialyte and yogurt and molasses water. We even used Monistat on her for fungus for maybe vent gleet now she is trying to push and here vent is swollen and red. I just went to get some preparationH and tried to push it in but it won't stay. As you can see she has her flesh and then a green spot but it is really looks like a cooked boiled egg yolk. The preparationH may be helping it feel better but I don't know.
How is she doing? have you tried giving her a warm epsom salt soak?

I would give a human 600 mg calcium tablet with vitamins d right into her beak to help her lay the egg. Get her drinking. Use a lubricant or vaseline to try and maneuver that egg out of her vent. Has that been visible for 2 days. She is also prolapsed a bit,,so keep it moist with cream or ointment. If she doesn’t lay it, a vet could collapse it and remove it. This needs to be now, as far as the calcium.

Hello well we took her to the Dr and she was egg bound for a long time the yolk was hard inside her. She didn't ever seem sick but for the last two weeks and we tried everything. I'm gonna be getting taome calcium citrate liquid I believe. Our chickens don't like to eat oyster shells. Thank you all for the quick response. She's still pretty infected and we have her on antibiotics twice a day.

Hello well we took her to the Dr and she was egg bound for a long time the yolk was hard inside her. She didn't ever seem sick but for the last two weeks and we tried everything. I'm gonna be getting taome calcium citrate liquid I believe. Our chickens don't like to eat oyster shells. Thank you all for the quick response. She's still pretty infected and we have her on antibiotics twice a day.

Back
Top Bottom