Is this even a chicken? Albino peafowl??

TexChix2

In the Brooder
9 Years
Mar 8, 2010
My daughter's kindergarten teacher found two of these chicks under her car in the preschool parking lot. This is not a rural area, but in the dead center of Dallas in a neighborhood where the median income is over $120,000. The two chicks were docile and allowed her to pick them up and put them in a cardboard box in the classroom. As the only chicken owner amongst the parents, I was summoned to consult. I am stumped. These chicks are huge--easily three times the size of one of my three week old chicks. Pullet sized but the head is still juvenile. The wings are large with smooth white feathers and the tail looks almost like plumage getting ready to take off--not like any chicken tail I've ever seen. However, both chicks have feathered shanks down to their toes and their necks do not seem long enough to qualify them as peafowl. I've had bantams, full sized hens, a few passing roosters, silkies, frizzles, cochins,show girls,naked necks and a range of loveable mutt hens--so I've seen some odd variations, but I have never seen anything like these. Can any one tell me what they are?

50625_img_5113-1.jpg
50625_img_5116.jpg
50625_img_5118.jpg
50625_mystery_chick_wing.jpg

Looks like a reguluar ol chicken to me. Maybe an EE without chippie cheeks? Some sort of cross to get the feathered shanks?

I have two 3week old Aurawhite chickens that look just like that. Used to have cute little polka dots on them when they were just down, but the feathers covened them up.
Austrawhite & covered

Last edited:
Not EEs, but perhaps a cochin cross or a brahma cross? They're definitely chickens, and rather adorable ones at that. Both look like pullets, too.
smile.png

Definitely are chickens.. Not sure on the breed though. They look about the size of mine (6 weeks, will be 7 weeks on Wednesday) so maybe they just got lost from somebodys flock? Or somebody dropped them off?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom