Is this Fowl Pox or Fungus?

Corryn

In the Brooder
Apr 29, 2023
Hello,
I was treating one of my ladies, Miss Green (1 year old and leader of the pack) for bumble-foot. I noticed it on Saturday, looked up how-to videos on YT and went to work on treating it.
It’s coming along well, but the second day I treated her (Sunday) while I was treating it, I noticed she had a sore on her comb.
My husband looked it up and he said it was bumble-foot on the comb so I soaked it with iodine on a cotton ball.
I wrapped up her foot, let her back in with the other ladies and did my thing.
I also treated her Monday after work.

Today I came home from biz trip and went to clean the bumble-foot and saw a couple more of these lumps on her comb.

My chicks have always lived in a clean environment, I clean the coop every single day, I have no idea where they got this from.
I also noticed this afternoon two other ladies have small dark spots on their combs, too.

The bumble-foot I surmise is from when my husband used the grinder on the hardware cloth to fix a spot on the coop, a shard of metal must’ve fell and guessing that’s where Miss Green got hurt, she walked around in poop and contracted the BF.
Here are pics of her comb. I appreciate your answers!

Attachments

• IMG_9945.jpeg
    IMG_9945.jpeg
    407.3 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_9942.jpeg
    IMG_9942.jpeg
    344 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_9939.jpeg
    IMG_9939.jpeg
    347.9 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_9934.jpeg
    IMG_9934.jpeg
    473.6 KB · Views: 3
The lesions on the waddle look like textbook dry fowl pox. The comb ones may also be, but injuries on wire fencing or peck wounds may also look like that. Do you have mosquitoes out now? You may see other pox scabs forming on her or others. Pox lasts about a month, and most grown chickens get over it without treatment. However, the povidone iodine can help to dry them out.

Thank you both!
Yes, we live on an island in southwest Tampa Bay area, mosquitos and no see ums are bad now, I have several big fans in their coop to give them good air flow and to try to blow away whatever flies. I don’t have any fans out in the yard where they free range, that might be where they’re getting bit. I Did put iodine on them, I will keep up with it, Thank you again!

Back
Top Bottom