Is This Fowl Pox???

Rose66

Songster
9 Years
Jan 26, 2011
Alabama
Anybody have any thoughts on what this is on this hen’s face? I’m guessing a really bad case of fowl pox??? She has never been vaccinated for pox, but she has been exposed before. I don’t remember if she got pox sores when she was exposed but I do know for a fact that she was in the flock when some of my hens had pox several years ago. She is a six-year-old Silver Leghorn that we’ve had since she was a couple of days old. Because of the size and location of the sores, she cannot see in front of her face so she can’t see where to actually peck to eat very well but I’m making sure she gets enough to eat and drink. She is acting fine, no depression, no loss of appetite. She just looks terrible! Thanks for any thoughts on what you think these sores are.

20171110_130300.jpg 20171110_133211.jpg

Wow, she does look pretty bad. I haven't seen pictures before of such large fowl pox lesions. They look unusual, puffy like they are abscesses, almost tumor-like. Antibiotics usually are not effective against pox virus, but I would be tempted to see a vet, just in case she needs something to keep her from getting secondary bacterial infections into her eyes. You can buy Terramycin Eye Ointment or Vetericyn Eye Gel at feed stores, and the sell ciprofloxacin eye drops online at First State Vet Supply. Do not disturb the skin scabs, since that can spread the virus. Usually pox last for several weeks, with chickens becoming immune to that particular strain of the pox virus.

Seems like fowl dry pox ..
But kinda bad condition of this chicken applying antiseptic ointment may work ..nothing much will not recover it fast as there's no medicine avail for fowl pox ..
Only ointment will work against dry pox provide a good healthy diet and also avoid mosquitoes

After looking again at the pictures, I really would consult a vet because the lesions on the face look like fungus. Fungus could possibly be a secondary infection. Fungus is found everywhere in the soil, so easy to get. You could apply iodine or betadine to the lesions, which might help treat it. I am not sure if antifungal creams would help. I am not a vet, so I would try to get a proper diagnosis.

The comb still looks like fowl pox to me. I hope others will chime in.

Wow, she does look pretty bad. I haven't seen pictures before of such large fowl pox lesions. They look unusual, puffy like they are abscesses, almost tumor-like. Antibiotics usually are not effective against pox virus, but I would be tempted to see a vet, just in case she needs something to keep her from getting secondary bacterial infections into her eyes. You can buy Terramycin Eye Ointment or Vetericyn Eye Gel at feed stores, and the sell ciprofloxacin eye drops online at First State Vet Supply. Do not disturb the skin scabs, since that can spread the virus. Usually pox last for several weeks, with chickens becoming immune to that particular strain of the pox virus.

I agree with you that they are extremely puffy and resemble abscesses or tumors. Makes me want to stick a needle in one to see if anything is in it but I wouldn't dare. I did not realize there was more than one strain of pox virus. Are you sure about that? If yes, then that could explain how she was exposed to pox before and yet has it again now.

Seems like fowl dry pox ..
But kinda bad condition of this chicken applying antiseptic ointment may work ..nothing much will not recover it fast as there's no medicine avail for fowl pox ..
Only ointment will work against dry pox provide a good healthy diet and also avoid mosquitoes

I am putting a triple antibiotic ointment on the places so I hope that is helping. Thanks for your help.

Back
Top Bottom