Is this fowl pox?

Thanks for the info. I noticed one sore is open today. Not sure if I should put a Neosporin type cream on it. No sores on face yet, just the comb. Weird this pox appears right when they start to lay eggs. Also free range of by backyard just started too. Is it possible they pick it up by free ranging?

Ok one hen has so many pox on her comb that it looks like one solid sore. It was bleeding so I separated her for the afternoon and put Neosporin on it. It's still looks pretty bad but dry and not bleeding, and she acts fine and I'm pretty sure she is still laying. Any ideas?. The other hens have just a few spots. How do they get this disease?

It is a virus carried by mosquitos. After a round of it, which will go away on its own in about 3 weeks, they should be immune for life. The Neosporin should treat any secondary bacterial infection, which is probably what happened. I'd probably keep her separated another day or two so she won't get pecked.

glad I found this also. toooo much rain this year and getting semi flooded,(last time this amt of rain seems to be 1938) coop is underwater and have put sandbags and 10 yards of sand in and around to get it above water, so mosquitos are very abundant. noticed these wart like things on 1 of my white leghorns yesterday. happy to know I can relax- physically impossible to eliminate mosquitos in s central fla. At least we are blessed that our house is high and dry and only the coop, parts of veggie garden and peach trees in 2 ft of water!

Pam's chicks ~ Photo is definitely fowl pox. I've used several "remedies", but truly it just runs its course. Just to keep it from scabbing too much, you can use a number of things -
rooster booster (has aloe vera and tea tree oil in it), Vetericyn (I know it's an ophthalmic gel, but local retired vet said you can use it on just about anything - not my first choice though), or even neosporin.

It's a disease just like chicken pox to humans - transferred by mosquitos.

Hope your girls are better now!

Thanks. I'm going to go find one of those remedies because its just looking really bad. The other hens have a couple spots that's all and some have disappeared completely.

Back
Top Bottom