Is this going to be safe for new chicks?

glennyg

In the Brooder
Mar 7, 2023
I have four adult chickens in a small suburban back yard with a secure run 16ft X 5 ft. They usually get let out to roam in our small yard and down the side of the house. They are over 3 years old now and the 2 Isa Browns have stopped laying but my Light Sussex and Australorp still lay. The Sussex has gone broody for what seems like the hundredth time so I'm thinking of putting 2 X day-old chicks under her. I COULD separate her but it would be a pain and I have read that it can cause more problems with integration.

Do you think I could just let her look after them naturally rather than separate her and have to reintegrate later?

I have a Grandfather's Feeder so the chicks wouldn't be able to get at the layer food until they are much much bigger. Has anyone tried setting up a feeding station for the chicks that has a gap at the bottom that allows the little ones in but not the adults? Would also give the chicks a safe place if they need it and their own water (my water dripper is too high for chicks).

I have the main henhouse and a smaller one, both raised but with good ramps. I figured I could set the Sussex up in the small one until she is comfortable with taking the chicks into the main one?

Do you think all this would work or am I just asking for trouble?

Thanks so much for your advice.
Glenn
IMG_20230308_090800.jpg

Last edited:
Yes you can put chick food in a spot only chicks can go. I do this. It is surprising how quickly they learn to go in and out on their own. I often have my chick food and water in the cage my broody sat in then lift an edge. I have had the food in a different place a few times and they figured that out as well.

Back
Top Bottom