Is this Immature of me or is this acceptable? Long but please read

Quote:
Well, if that's the case, I'll bring the sun screen. You bring the ice water because you'll probably be right next to me!
big_smile.png

Nikki, since you said you want to capture any dogs on camera, perhaps investing in a game camera (one that will automatically take a picture if something crosses it) or even a security camera would be a good idea. That way you wouldn't have to worry about running to get your camera and hoping you are in time, or if a dog (or any other predator) attack happens when you are away, you are covered and will have your picture evidence.
smile.png

Last edited:
3 S's

Shoot
Shovel
&Shut Up

Do not even admit to shooting their dog. your just asking for added hostility and possible legal battles over pain and suffering etc. etc.

Is there any possible way you can fence the dog out? Ask your neighbor if he will pay half the expense. The problem with shooting the dog,justified or not, is .... then what? He shoots your animals at some later date or worse,flips out and shoots at you? Neighbors are a tricky thing- it's where your "home" is,your peace, which should be maintained at all costs. In my humble opinion. It is not the dogs fault . The owner - which should realize this is the most logical solution.

annette'spets :

Neighbors are a tricky thing- it's where your "home" is,your peace, which should be maintained at all costs.

How much of a home is it when you have lost your freedom to use your own property as you see fit? How much of a home is it when your neighbor is taking over a piece of your property and demanding that you allow your animals and self to be at risk so that they don't have to take personal responsibility for their own actions? "Peace at all costs" may make the neighbor may feel appeased and secure, but the OP might feel that he/she is living under the rule of a tyrant neighbor. No, if the cost of peace is giving up personal freedoms, it's not worth it. Let the neighbor learn the law. With some people civility is the best you can hope for. Even if you are civil, they may or may not reciporcate. That's their problem. Rudeness can be ignored. Lawbreaking cannot. Be civil and use the law.​

Quote:
Well, if that's the case, I'll bring the sun screen. You bring the ice water because you'll probably be right next to me!
big_smile.png

I always ride shotgun~ LOL

Take a second look at the PA laws. I don’t think your legal position is as tight as you would like it to be. Your protection of fowl defense (Title 3 P.S. § 459-501) is only an affirmative defense to a civil suit or a misdemeanor criminal charge of cruelty to animals (18 Pa. C.S.A. § 5511). That means that you will have to prove in court that the offending dog was ACTUALLY pursuing your chickens at the time of the shooting. Also, the only PA case on point shows that this law and the exclusion to the cruelty to animals statute only applies in limited circumstances. In the case of Commonwealth v. Ingram, 926 A.2d 470 (Pa. Super 2007), the Defendant shot two dogs which were chasing his farmed white-tailed deer from the outside of the deer pen. When chased by dogs, the deer would run into their cages and injure themselves, rendering them valueless. The court found that the statute which states: “Any person may kill any dog which he sees in the act of pursuing or wounding or killing any domestic animal” meant that because the dogs were outside the deer enclosure, they were not pursuing the deer. The court looked to the dictionary for the definition of pursue and found that it meant “to follow in order to capture, overtake, kill, ect.” It reasoned that since the dogs could not capture, overtake or kill the deer, they were not pursuing the deer. Consequently, the Defendant received a sentence of between three days and one year in jail, a year of probation and 500 hours of community service.
The moral of the story is to: 1. wait to shoot the dog until it is INSIDE the chicken pen and chasing or killing chickens. 2. Trap the dog and call the dog warden 3. Catch the dog in the pen and call the dog warden or 4. If the chickens are free-ranging, shoot the dog as it chases one of them.
You may well go to jail for shooting someone’s dog unless it is pursuing your livestock in such a way that they are seconds away from dying.
Keep in mind that the law on this subject could be very different in each state.

Quote:
The only way it is considered animal cruelty to shoot a dog is if you don't kill it or have to shoot in multiple times. The fact that Nikki has already researched and found the laws that state she can shoot and kill a dog trying to kill her chickens and quails, makes me think she is safe if it comes to a point where she or her hubby needs to kill the dog. The last point I want to bring up is that this particular neighbor's dog has already gotten into her run and killed chickens in the past.

Interesting research about the case with the deer farmer by the way. I am suprised the case went the way it did since dogs can kill deer from outside the fence by running them to death and injuring them to the point they need to be put down.

Back
Top Bottom