Is this little guy a cockerel?

Basghettiii

Songster
Oct 6, 2023
We have been told that this little one is a golden laced Wyandotte, and we are curious about its gender. Based on my experience, she looks like a dominant hen, but she has some very rooster-ish tendencies. She walks very upright with her tail raised (her tail feathers also started coming in later than the others, which coul just be because of her breed) and she is a little bit more aggressive when trying to assert her dominance among the other babies. She is the smallest one, so it is very interesting to watch the other ones submit to her. She is pretty sweet to me though. She is about four weeks old, for reference.

Attachments

• IMG_6028.jpeg
    IMG_6028.jpeg
    444.6 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_6031.jpeg
    IMG_6031.jpeg
    463.1 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_6036.jpeg
    IMG_6036.jpeg
    433 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_6038.jpeg
    IMG_6038.jpeg
    496 KB · Views: 21
Posture and attitude aren't good indicators of genders. However the comb is turning a little pink at 4 weeks, but wyandottes tend to pink up early. I'd wait 3 weeks to say fir sure.
That’s what I figured. I have four laying hens already, and the leader of their pecking order always acted the same way, so I would say that it’s just a dominance thing if I had to guess. Thank you!

That’s very helpful! Her comb is pretty pink, but it isn’t quite at that level yet. It’s also very very small still, so I guess we will just have to wait and see! Perhaps some weekly updates are in store.
Yeah, our boy had a very red comb! It's so funny, one day we were just like "Fern has a pretty red comb; should we maybe make sure she's not a boy?"
We were really hoping "she" wasn't, roosters are illegal in our town. But...
he was a boy. Whoops. We changed his name to Fernando instead of Fern :D
We ended up giving him to a nice, spacious farm a few weeks ago; we hope he's happy there!

Yeah, our boy had a very red comb! It's so funny, one day we were just like "Fern has a pretty red comb; should we maybe make sure she's not a boy?"
We were really hoping "she" wasn't, roosters are illegal in our town. But...
he was a boy. Whoops. We changed his name to Fernando instead of Fern :D
We ended up giving him to a nice, spacious farm a few weeks ago; we hope he's happy there!
We are allowed to have roosters here, and we are actually hoping for a rooster! Our flock will be at nine when these five move outside, which should be happening this weekend, and our chickens have developed some… undesirable habits. They often wander off to hang out with one of our neighbor’s roosters, and they haven’t been laying at home nearly as much. We are hoping that having a rooster of our own will root then back to their home instead of the neighbors.

Back
Top Bottom