Is this normal for 2-3 day old Chicks? Pictures

mattmatts-momma

Songster
12 Years
Jan 13, 2008
Hi,

Here are the chicks I received yesterday. Yesterday they were extremely active from the time I put them in the brooder until late in the night. They are all eating and drinking, but they sure seem to be sleeping alot more today. Since this is my first experience with chicks, is this normal?

100_1621.jpg

100_1620.jpg

Yep - they sleep a LOT when they are able to. Mine doze off then someone moves and they all pop their heads up, then doze off again, rinse, lather, repeat...all day and night!

They are like puppies - about 2 minutes of racing around like crazy, a bit of food and drink, then a nice long nap.

They are babies.They eat sleep and poop.In fact most of the time shipped chicks will not eat very much the first day or too but drink alot.Then it seems like they all of a sudden they drain the feeder.They are very tired so remember they have been thru a lot of turmoil.

Last edited:
Quote:
Yes, this is exactly what is happening. They are all asleep and then someone moves, they all jump up, eat or drink and go back to sleep.

Thank you for letting me know this is normal.

Some are huddled together, some are away from the huddle. Kind of like little piles of chicks here and there. I think your right, there probably just worn out.

Where is the heat lamp located at the time this picture was taken? If it is directly above them, there's a possibility that it isn't quite warm enough for them in there. Or, if it is on the other side, it may be too warm on that side. While they will bunch up from time to time, if you find them huddling in one spot, either directly under the lamp (too cold) or directly away from the lamp (too hot) then it could show that you need to make adjustments.

When mine were babies, I found that I had heat escaping in there and had to put a towel over part of the brooder to hold the heat in a bit better.

I checked the temp, that is fine. The light is mounted on the far left corner of the box, directly above the chicks on the left. They all seem to jump up at the same time, run around, eat, drink and go lay back down to sleep. None of them seem sick, I just wasn't sure if this was normal. Yesterday, when I put them in the brooder all they did was run around eat, drink and be merry, hardly any sleeping went on.

Back
Top Bottom