Is this old age?

mdbokc

Songster
10 Years
Jun 22, 2009
Oklahoma County, OK
She is a 4 year old golden comet but the first time I recall seeing one assume the shape of a ball. No extended neck, walks stiff and slowly and I now have her eat separately (but still in sight of the flock) as she eats a little, rests and then eats some more. No one is picking on her. But she is weak. She fell down this morning from just a touch and didn't try to get up. So we picked her up, set her by the plate as shown and she ate.

Just seeking information on what this might be....

Thanking you in advance.

35063_sick_hen.jpg

Last edited:
boy i know know that much about chickens...but i think chickens live alot longer then 4 years...and i think they have
more energy then that....i would watch her to see if she continues like that...if so i think she has a health problem...
sad.png

also her comb looks very pal.....does that just happen with age??....good luck with her!

Last edited:
Yep, but as people age differently, I suspect chickens might too. But changing the body shape into a ball is a new one for me. She is alert and well aware of her surroundings.

I'd put on her antibiotics maybe Terramycin and some electrolytes. It won't hurt her, check her crop and her vent.

I'm sorry I don't know alot about chicken illnesses, but that doesn't look like old age to me. She looks ill, very ill.

You might want to consider contacting a moderator to have you thread moved to emergencies and illnesses. The help you find there could make a difference for this hen.

Good luck to you.

Some hatchery birds just have a short life span........... results of poor breeding, but the rule of thumb is she should still live longer on average, keep in mind the gold comet is a laying machine, She could be ill from something.

Is her abdomen distended? If she has not been laying, then she is probably laying internally, based on her age and her breed. If she is that weak, it's far advanced, though it could be something else. Been through this many times. They get so weak they cannot stand at the end, in spite of continuing to eat and drink.

That is not old age, though 4 is indeed elderly for a hybrid production layer.

She looks ill i have a five year old ex battery hens she very active she the boss of all of my hens she lays and she looks so young

Back
Top Bottom