Is this Omphalitis?

FaithWalkFarms

Songster
11 Years
Feb 17, 2013
Aggieland, Texas
So this was the last chick to hatch -- 24+ hours after she started zipping. I ended up assisting because she just stopped trying and I was concerned.

She (d'Anvers bantam) came out weak and had a bit of shrink wrapping. And, she had a ton of green gunk at the bottom of her shell (and stuck to her). No blood or yellow yolk. Navel appeared a bit red but wasn't open. Put her on clean paper towel and back in the bator to rest. After church, I came home and saw that she was completely crusty from shrink wrapping. I gave her warm bath to get it all off and then gently dried her while husband used my blow drier.

While washing I noticed the skin behind her navel was puffy and dark blue-gray. Is this Omphalitis? I have treated twice with iodine in case.

She is able to walk around (but if happens to fall on her back, she is completely unable to flip back over), and she cries almost nonstop. I have left her in the bator so she not be stressed by rough and stronger chicks (lowered incubator heat from 100 to 95) and have given her Sav-A-Chick periodically.

Is this indeed an infection we are dealing with or is this in the range or normal?

Last edited:
There are at least a couple of good articles on mushy chick disease or omphalitis by Sally Sunshine if you search at the top of this page, and the one in TheMerck Manual by Googling it. Most chicks will die of this within 48 hours. Hoping your chick doesn't have that problem.

There are at least a couple of good articles on mushy chick disease or omphalitis by Sally Sunshine if you search at the top of this page, and the one in TheMerck Manual by Googling it. Most chicks will die of this within 48 hours. Hoping your chick doesn't have that problem.

Yes, I read all of those earlier in the day and "googled" too (that is how I knew to use the iodine and to keep her separate)-- mine doesn't have an open navel which is why I am confused. I was just hoping someone familiar wold be able to confirm.

Sigh -- this is going to be sad. :(

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom