Omphalitis chick- should I give subcutaneous fluids or just wait for the end?

bunnyvicious

Hatching
Jul 9, 2023
I was *gifted* a sick chick, with a black bulging navel. Clearly Omphalitis after a quick google search. She cries endlessly, walks a little bit. Hasn’t eaten or drank.
Should I give her water/pedialyte with a dropper? Or learn how to do subcutaneous fluids? What about getting her to eat?
Her belly is scabbed over with a big black scab. Pretty swollen but not red or hot.
I feel terrible for her and want to give her the best chance. I feel like I’m just waiting for the end :(

Welcome To BYC

Can you post photos of her and her belly?

I would see if she can take drops of fluid. Electrolytes if you have them.

If she indeed has Omphalitis and shows no improvement, is unable to take fluids and is in pain/distress, putting her out of her misery is probably a good idea.

https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poultry/omphalitis/omphalitis-in-poultry

Attachments

• IMG_5405.jpeg
    IMG_5405.jpeg
    368.5 KB · Views: 7
she perked up for some warm water and the tiniest bit of egg yolk. I’m going to try again in an hour. I’m using an eye dropper and I’m terrified she’s going to aspirate.
Sorry for the constant posting! My free chick who is ‘probably not going to survive’ is quickly becoming a project

I would give her sugar water.
Dip a qtip in the water, press the qtip to the side of her beak and let a drop of liquid roll around the beak, she should draw it in.
It's tedious to do drop by drop, but you lessen the chance of aspiration that way.

Work on hydration - sugar water or electrolytes first, then see if she will be willing to eat wet soupy chick starter.
I know a lot of people like to give egg yolk, but to me it's sticky and sometimes hard for a chick to swallow it really well if they are not able to eat/drink on their own.

Not sure if she actually has Omphalitis.

Back
Top Bottom